Why!!! (AW4 Tranny Owners Listen Up)

yakinaked

Why does EVERY parts store I've ever asked try and tell me that my Jeep Cherokee (AW4 tranny) uses ATF+4 because it's a Chrysler? I'm starting to wonder just how many of those transmissions have slowly met their demise because of these parts stores telling people that because their XJ (and some ZJs) is a Chrysler it therefore uses ATF+4? WRONG!!! The AW4 uses Mercron/Dexron III. I'm irritated about this again because my friend just informed me that he just picked up some tranny fluid for his XJ. I told him they would probably give him the wrong stuff - sure enough - he gets to go back and exchange it for the Dexron now. If this post will save even just one XJ tranny I'll be happy. Thank you, that is all.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
NEVER take the word of a parts store worker to be the absolute truth. Many times I've had to walk away from conversations like that.

You are very correct. The AW4 is not a Chrysler transmission.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
being the parts person that i am, trying to defend myself:D i always tell people to look at their dipstick 4 the correct tranny fluid

yakinaked

I've actually never seen an XJ tranny dipstick that states the fluid type to be used yet. However, the drainplug (go figure) if it hasn't been replaced will say "DII". So what happens is: you go to the parts store, they give you the wrong stuff and you then for some reason pay attention to the strange markings on the drain plug and interpret that to be Dexron. You then go back down and argue with the counter person and try to convince them to swap the ATF+4 out with the Dexron.

Attachments

• aw4_drain.jpg
    aw4_drain.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2

gripguru

Nate Davidson
Not that you saved mine, but good input. I dont even know what fluid I put in my tranny. It was at the end of a LOOOONG project and I cannot remember. I will think about it when I replace the fluid for sure.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
A/T - ATF+4 Fluid Usage/Applications

NUMBER: 21-010-06

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: April 14, 2006

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-004-04, DATED MARCH 16, 2004, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
Automatic Transmission Fluid Usage ATF+4 (Type M59602)

MODELS:

1989 - 1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/Lebaron Sedan

1989 - 2003 (AB) Ram Van/Wagon

1989 - 1993 (AC) Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon

1989 - 1993 (AD) Ram Truck

1989 - 1994 (AG) Daytona

1989 (AH) Lancer/Lebaron GTS

1989 - 1995 (AJ) Lebaron Coupe/Lebaron Convertible

1989 - 1990 (AK) Aries/Reliant

1989 - 1990 (AL) Horizon/Omni

1989 (AM) Diplomat/Gran Fury/New Yorker Fifth Avenue

1989 - 2004 (AN) Dakota

1989 - 1994 (AP) Shadow/Sundance

1990 - 1991 (AQ) Maserati

1990 - 1993 (AY) Imperial/New Yorker Fifth Avenue

1994 - 2003 (BR/BE) Ram Truck

2004 - 2007 (CS) Pacifica

1998 - 2003 (DN) Durango

2002 - 2007 (DR/DH/D1) Ram Truck

2007 (DC) Ram 3500 Cab Chassis

1995 - 2000 (FJ) Sebring/Avenger/Talon

1996 - 2000 (CS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)

2004 - 2007 (HB) Durango

1995 - 2000 (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze

2007 (JK) Wrangler

2001 - 2006 (JR) Sebring Sedan & Convertible/Stratus Sedan

2007 (JS) Avenger/Sebring

1996 - 2000 (JX) Sebring Convertible

2002 - 2007 (KJ) Liberty

1993 - 2004 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New Yorker
/300M

2005 - 2007 (LX/LE) 300/Magnum/Charger

1996 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

1995 - 2005 (PL) Neon

2002 - 2003 (PG) PT Cruiser (International Markets)

2001 - 2007 (PT) PT Cruiser

1997 - 2002 (PR) Prowler

2001 - 2007 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

2001 - 2007 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

1997 - 2006 (TJ) Wrangler

2001 - 2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
Vehicles equipped with Gas engines

1999 - 2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee

2005 - 2007 (WK/WH) Grand Cherokee

2006 - 2007 (XK/XH) Commander

1989 - 1995 (YJ) Wrangler

1996 - 1998 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)

1994 - 1998 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer

NOTE :This Service Bulletin DOES NOT apply to AW-4 transmissions, Sprinter transmissions, Crossfire transmissions, MK/PM vehicles equipped with Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and WG vehicles equipped with a diesel engine (sales code ENF) and a W5J400 or NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ).

DISCUSSION:

ATF+4(R) - (Type 9602) is being used as factory fill for Chrysler Group automatic transmissions. ATF+4(R) is recommended for all vehicles equipped with Chrysler Group automatic transmissions EXCEPT FOR THOSE NOTED ABOVE.

NOTE :ATF+4(R) must always be used in vehicles that were originally filled with ATF+4(R). DO NOT USE ANY OTHER FLUID.

NOTE :ATF+4(R) is backward compatible with ATF+3, ATF+2, and ATF+. Additionally, ATF+4 can be used to top off vehicles that used ATF+3, ATF+2, or ATF+.

NOTE :If ATF+4(R) is used to service models originally filled with ATF+3, ATF+2, and ATF+ the fluid maintenance schedules listed for that model does not change. The service interval currently in effect for a given model should continue to be followed. Refer to the Service or Owners manual for maintenance schedule directions.

In general terms, If ATF+, ATF+2 or ATF+3 was the recommended fluid, it is now recommended to use ATF+4.

BENEFITS

^ Better anti-wear properties

^ Improved rust/corrosion prevention

^ Controls oxidation

^ Eliminates deposits

^ Controls friction

^ Retains anti-foaming properties

^ Superior properties for low temperature operation

FLUID COLOR

Mopar ATF+4(R) has exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4(R) is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4(R) also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4(R) fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not necessarily support a fluid change.

PARTS REQUIRED:

POLICY:
Information Only

Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Some of the early Chrysler electronic trannies (read minivan 4 speeds) still had dipsticks that read use Dexron. Dexron will kill those transmissions. The fluid is to thick and just not slippery enough. ATF+ series fluids were also hard to come by so "friction modifiers" were additives some shops added to Dexron. But this proved nearly as bad as Dexron alone. Had a shop almost put Dexron in my 94 Concorde. After chewing the mech and manager out, I never went there again.

Funny, the 89 -96 minivans aren't even on the list above... Omni/K car/ and a couple others ON the list never had the electronically controlled trans, but Chrysler did recommended + series fluids for older purely hydraulic transaxles and some transmissions.

Um, not a mech myself. But a former minivan enthusiast...

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Different example but, rings true with the OP.

I wanted to replace the trans fluid in my F250 and everyone kept trying to sell me multi-use fluid. I went into a seasoned parts house and ended up buying Maxlife, as the parts guy pointed out that it was compatable with dexron/mercon III/V. I then read my owners manual and it clearly stated to not run trans fluid that was compatible with DIII/V. I took it back and bought regular old Mercon III and haven't had any problems yet (fingers crossed).

I wonder how many 4R100s have bit the dust because of this as well?