Why does everybody seem to want hummer wheels?

heinie_21

i've seen alot of hummer wheels bought and sold lately. i'm just wondering if there is something special about them? Is there some feature about them that makes them good for rock crawling? it seems to be h2 and h3 wheels mostly.
or am i just reading into something that isn't really going on?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Guy at work bought some H2 Wheels to put on his Dodge Megacab. It looks better than the stock ones he had and were cheaper than his other options.

chans

H2s are like 5" BS I think and 9" wide. My brother had some on his Jeep and got rid of them. He hit into a rock on Constrictor and a big chunk broke off the lip of the rim. I was suprised it still held air. Also he seemed to loose the bead alot when aired down.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
ok so what backspacing do they have? they΄re 8 on 6.5 right? 8 inches wide?

Which wheels?

The H1 is something like 7". A little on the extreme side if you have a front axle with traditional lockout hubs. They're out there and vulnerable (but a drive slug has been totally fine in my experience).

The Dodge wheels I was running are something like 6 or 6.25"? They're from a 2500-3500 SRW truck and bent similar to what Chans mentions below when they got smacked good on Coyote Canyon last year.

I'm now running H2s for the 17" cheap factor and I'd guess their backspacing at about 5.5"-6". They're less than the factory Dodge stuff, but not by much.

H2s are like 5" BS I think and 9" wide. My brother had some on his Jeep and got rid of them. He hit into a rock on Constrictor and a big chunk broke off the lip of the rim. I was suprised it still held air. Also he seemed to loose the bead alot when aired down.

That's a bit of a bummer. I was hoping to run some inner air locks or Stauns with them.

heinie_21

so why is MORE backspacing desireable in a rock crawling setting? when i used to race motocross 4-wheelers we wanted alot of backspacing up front too. i think it was to reduce bump-steer if i remember right, but that was with a-arm IFS. is that what it does in a rock crawling/solid axle setting too?

mbryson

Supporting Member
so why is MORE backspacing desireable in a rock crawling setting? when i used to race motocross 4-wheelers we wanted alot of backspacing up front too. i think it was to reduce bump-steer if i remember right, but that was with a-arm IFS. is that what it does in a rock crawling/solid axle setting too?

Depends on what you want. It does make your steering easier. I wanted more backspacing so I could run full width axles (ease of parts replacement) without full width track.

heinie_21

I wanted more backspacing so I could run full width axles (ease of parts replacement) without full width track.
thats why i want them too! but i dont know if my drag-link ball joint will clear the wheel with 6" bs. I put some 16" wheels with aproximatly 5-5.5 bs and its pretty close to the wheel. i'd like to try to mount some hummer wheels to see if they will clear.. they might.

mbryson

Supporting Member
thats why i want them too! but i dont know if my drag-link ball joint will clear the wheel with 6" bs. I put some 16" wheels with aproximatly 5-5.5 bs and its pretty close to the wheel. i'd like to try to mount some hummer wheels to see if they will clear.. they might.

I'm using offset arms for my D60 so they'll clear. The H1 wheels are WAY in there.
steering_arm_H1_wheel.jpg

Depending on your axle (didn't you mention in a different post you had a D44?), you'll need to investigate some offset steering arms and mods.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
I like the H2 wheels because they are cheap, strong and plentiful. H2 wheels do leave your hubs out there to get bashed though.

heinie_21

I'm using offset arms for my D60 so they'll clear. The H1 wheels are WAY in there.
so you're runnin the H1 beadlocks? are they 17's? does anybody have any pics of h2's on their crawler?

heinie_21

wow! thanks for that! that's exactly what i needed to know. i need to suck my tires in a bit with my full width axles, and those dont look half bad! of coarse a 4-runner can make anything look good. love the 4-runner!

mbryson

Supporting Member
so you're runnin the H1 beadlocks? are they 17's? does anybody have any pics of h2's on their crawler?

As far as I know, the only H1 wheels are 16.5"? I've run the H1s. I've run H2s, and I've run stock Dodge wheels and now run Hutchinson double beadlocks (16") with comp. Creepy Crawlers or H2s and 40" MTRs.

Attachments

• 2009_6_6 011 (Medium).jpg
    2009_6_6 011 (Medium).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2009_6_6 012 (Medium).jpg
    2009_6_6 012 (Medium).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2009_6_6 015 (Medium).jpg
    2009_6_6 015 (Medium).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 27

heinie_21

it doesn't look like your hub stick out at all.. what axle is it? i wonder if my ford 44 and 60 hubs would stick out at all?

mbryson

Supporting Member
it doesn't look like your hub stick out at all.. what axle is it? i wonder if my ford 44 and 60 hubs would stick out at all?

Well, if you'll look closely, those are Mt. Logan drive flanges and they've been hit a LOT. It's unlikely a set of lockouts would have survived what the drive flanges have. That's a Chev 60 under there.

How/why you're sticking 60 hubs on a 44 I don't know. I hope if you went that far with modifying a 44, you got the bigger axle joint of the 60? (or is the 44 a "big hub" earlier model?)