Why does RME have a negative reputation?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I rarely post much tech or product information because it doesn't seem like very many people care. Anyone else kinda get that vibe? :confused:

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I like it here, although I read weay more than I post.

Gotten negativity, and encouragement.

Bad:asked where a trail was once 3 wks into living in UT and was suggested to deport me back to ID. So I came home :rofl: Kidding, moved back but not for that reason)

Good:And I am trying to create a capable wheeler out of a Toy van, and have gotten encouragement, Heck Ace loaned me his cherry picker to do a motor swap)

If that is the worst abuse I will ever get online, oh darn. Hurt me, ya know?

Shat happens.

Its a good site, and I love the fact that it is family friendly, for the most part. My wife peered over my shoulder once when I lived in Purgatory (oops sorry most of you call that Home- sorry :D ) and flipped out. One of those "yeah I know what rocks you wanna krawl" things

And the attitude there, damn! And Wid Yoats tends to get a little nasty, but this stays interesting, and informative,if it gets to nasty, a moderator usually moderates so.............? and Chit-Chat rules.

Good Site,
Greg

Thanks

DrMoab

I have been lerking here for a long time. I only started to post a few months ago and understand what some people say about not being included but I have a slightly different take. To me its not RME members so much as it is buggy owners. And before you buggy owners get your panties in a bunch I am not grouping you all together. I have just seen an attitude with alot of guys building buggies that they are so far superior to everyone else that they really look down on the rest of us.

Its not just here though its everywhere.

I have wheeled a few times with lots of guys here on RME and I have never once felt like I wasn't included at all. I have however felt that way with a few members of the buggy only crowd.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
but... buggy builder/owners ARE superior to the rest of us: they've got the skill/money/experience/hookups to get a buggy done. That's not nothing!

Just kidding. Well, sort of. I personally believe in a good strong elite to keep the rest of us peons in shape. We can learn from the fabricators, the skilled drivers etc etc. They have a certain right to a big head. When they get too full of themselves it's kind of fun to give them the smackdown, too, so they keep it real. It's no different than any other interest group.
I don't think anyone here is too full of themselves, those that are can take a good wallop as well as they can dish it out. And as far as what I've seen the mods here are pretty fair....

Buggies: the Reaganomics of 4x4. Trickle-down Tech, yo!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would really like to know who you guys consider to be the "Buggy" crowd. Of the buggy owners I know, none are elitist, look down their nose type people. I also don't really know many buggy owners. I can think of 3 that I know personally. Buggy owners all started with a stock vehicle, just like the rest of us. Of the 3 buggy owners I know, they posess the knowledge that I desire most on this site.

On the other hand, I have personally come across people who have buggies that are standoffish toward me or concieted in some other way. NONE of them were a member of RME at the time, so far as I am aware. I seriously think that this buggy crowd hate is a misconception on the "have not" side.

The people who complain are secluding themselves from the rest of the group. If you are oversensitive to the point where you won't bother trying to associate with others who may be in a different social class, then that is your problem.

Jeremy Hicks
1992 Jeep Cherokee with a budget lift and 33" tires
no lockers, 8-track stereo.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
you seriously have an 8track in a 92 Jeep? That is so sweet!

I think it's funny that "elitist" is a bad thing. Arrogance sure is... not quite the same thing though.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
coooooolll

I'll grab all of my dad's when I visit again. He needs to let go and upgrade the garage stereo. Some good stuff in there, man: Skynyrd, Foghat, some Zeppelin.... maybe Charlie Daniels too.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
RockMonkey said:
I rarely post much tech or product information because it doesn't seem like very many people care. Anyone else kinda get that vibe? :confused:
I have also stopped doing tech write-up's due to the crap I receive and the lack of intrest.

I really hope that those of you that I have wheeled with have not received the "hollyer than thou" additude from me.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Shawn said:
I have also stopped doing tech write-up's due to the crap I receive and the lack of intrest.

I really hope that those of you that I have wheeled with have not received the "hollyer than thou" additude from me.

I guess I have to wonder what lack of interest is...I really enjoyed the write ups you did on your rig. I remember several times saving pics to remind me of future mods I would like to do. I don't remember if I piped up and said great job or thanks but I did appreciate it even if I didn't. The tech write-ups don't always get people saying "that's awesome" or "wow" or "WTF" or things like that I think for a couple of reasons, first if I'm not directly working on that part of my rig (i.e. doing axles when you do a tech article on axles) I file it away for the future and second a lot of the tech articles are used by the newer people and/or lurkers that don't feel comfortable in posting. I think this needs to be a lesson for all the above. Please keep doing tech write-ups, if for no-one else for me. For the rest of us, lets make a comment or two, give kudos where kudos are do. One of the best things about a board is the search engine, which I use everytime before I start a project to get ideas, if there are no ideas I make a lot more errors as I have to start from scratch like everyone else.

Sorry this is so long, Medsker

harkinoff

something to do...
I quit posting up wheelin trips... Like others said lack of interest, nobody would even reply so Fu- it. I wheel a lot and don't even post trip results, pics and most of all, the GOOD TIMES had by all I was with. I see people get flamed because something didn't look right in a pic or what someone said to someone that might have struck a nerve.. I don't care anymore about the web and how people feel anymore because of this abuse that goes on. I share my knowledge and experiences with people that will show respect and gratitude. Kinda sad, I've had a lot of great trail experiences the past few years. The Scout has a taken a severe beating the last few years and has done it with out the Web nonsense.
I have met some real COOL people here and have gained some Awsome knowledge as well. THANKS, I will continue to check up on you all and show up at gatherings/meetings,etc. but I will never get caught up in the click or try to fit in with click of the Web again. Kinda got burned out with the negativity I guess...Not just here Greg, Pirate as well. The people that down people and places just need to walk away and let it be. Life is too short to let the bad times overcome what life has to offer.

DrMoab

Hickey said:
I would really like to know who you guys consider to be the "Buggy" crowd. Of the buggy owners I know, none are elitist, look down their nose type people. I also don't really know many buggy owners. I can think of 3 that I know personally. Buggy owners all started with a stock vehicle, just like the rest of us. Of the 3 buggy owners I know, they posess the knowledge that I desire most on this site.

On the other hand, I have personally come across people who have buggies that are standoffish toward me or concieted in some other way. NONE of them were a member of RME at the time, so far as I am aware. I seriously think that this buggy crowd hate is a misconception on the "have not" side.

The people who complain are secluding themselves from the rest of the group. If you are oversensitive to the point where you won't bother trying to associate with others who may be in a different social class, then that is your problem.

Jeremy Hicks
1992 Jeep Cherokee with a budget lift and 33" tires
no lockers, 8-track stereo.
If you saw my post I did say that I really didn't think it was people here who were like that. I have more then once....actually a lot of times ran into groups of high dollar rigs, be it buggies or really well built rigs, who were just plain rude.

I also know quite a few of the guys here on RME who own buggies and all of them that I can think of are cool as hell. Some of them I consider my friends.

I still however think that since the evolution hard-core rock crawler there has been a shift in attitudes from the all inclusive,family oriented everybodys welcome feeling to a more exclusive,Im better then you type feelings.

Geepfreak

I'm here.
DrMoab said:
If you saw my post I did say that I really didn't think it was people here who were like that. I have more then once....actually a lot of times ran into groups of high dollar rigs, be it buggies or really well built rigs, who were just plain rude.

I also know quite a few of the guys here on RME who own buggies and all of them that I can think of are cool as hell. Some of them I consider my friends.

I still however think that since the evolution hard-core rock crawler there has been a shift in attitudes from the all inclusive,family oriented everybodys welcome feeling to a more exclusive,Im better then you type feelings.

Dr.Moab, I know what you are saying, A prime example of this, was at Rocker knocker last April. I was tail gunning so I got to hear the group that came in behind us(few buggies/several "high" dollar rigs) and when they pulled up, and yes there was a few RME guys in the group, started complaining that they were going to be there forever because it was a bunch of XJ's. as I remember we finished the trail undamaged, and dinked around at the head of the canyon for well over and hour, and they never caught us..so, what made them better than us...? don't know.... Did not know we were in competition with them, I thought we were running a trail.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
DrMoab said:
Then what does this all have to do with the reputation of RME?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Geepfreak said:
Dr.Moab, I know what you are saying, A prime example of this, was at Rocker knocker last April. I was tail gunning so I got to hear the group that came in behind us(few buggies/several "high" dollar rigs) and when they pulled up, and yes there was a few RME guys in the group, started complaining that they were going to be there forever because it was a bunch of XJ's. as I remember we finished the trail undamaged, and dinked around at the head of the canyon for well over and hour, and they never caught us..so, what made them better than us...? don't know.... Did not know we were in competition with them, I thought we were running a trail.
I think you are oversensitive. I for one, would complain if there were a bunch of XJ's in front of me on Rocker Knocker. I would also complain if there were a bunch of TJ's, Land Rovers, or Scouts. Nobody likes to wait for a big group.

Did you try to associate with those evil buggy guys? How did you know they were from RME?