Why the fear of a Taser

NE_Utah

I have bben wondering this. Why is there so much drama over the Taser being used. A officer has pepper spray that will last up to 8 hours hurts like hell. They could use a ASP (collapsible baton) they can break bones or kill.
I carry bean bags and rubber bullets in my shot gun also.

So why so much complaints over something that last 5 seconds and you can get up and walk away from.

i have been shot with a Taser many times and the only thing I have left from it is two little burn marks. I have been hit with a baton and it cracked the bone. Don't ask on how that happened. I also got shot with a bean bag round. for $100.00 you would to.

You never hear of over 1 million people mad that a officer shot someone, or that they used OC on someone.

OC can kill, if you are asmatic it will kill you. A baton plus spin, neck, head= death.

So give me what the public thinks. I will try to back up everything i post with good evidance. i hope I can learn something here from the public.

Also I am going to traing for a new Taser that goes in a shot gun, any takers?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I agree, it makes no sense to me either. To me, I would prefer it over the peper spray or bags - I've been hit at close range with paint ball guns and that is something you really feel and it does leave a mark or welt. I asked my wife your question and she said the same thing....

NE_Utah

Come one people post up. This is not a fight thread it is a inform thread. We (law enforcement) need to know these things so we can upgradeour training and know how the public feels.

Hambone I will try, I will be getting a Benelli auto to use for a multi weapon.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I think that it's because half the people in this country are pussies and would rather sue or whine and complain about something than to man up and except responsibility. You make a mistake, deal with it. Don't drag it out like this guy's doing (the dude that got tazed) That and people now would LOVE to find any fault at all in something. He got tazed, so inhumane. BS. They forget, like you said, that the trooper could have done something that wouldn't have been so forgiving.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
Maybe it's just lack of education. Shocking someone with 20,000 volts SOUNDS realy bad.
I remember one of my instructors telling a story that there was an attorney who was trying to use fear that his client had ''been hit with the equivelent of a lead pipe" on a jury. The truth was that the officer had hit him with a flashlight, that had batteries containing lead (Officer had forgoten to bring his WOOD stick and needed to strike him to efect the arrest). In the end the Officer still had to hit him, weather it was with that hard flashlight, or his soft oak nightstick.:-\

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I'd rather get tased if I had a choice. I remember we biult a Tesla coil in highschool that was supposed to put out 100,000 volts and you would hold hands and the first person would use a brass rod to make it arc and the last person would ground out on a door know. It would make your arms go from limp to rock hard straight. Pretty cool back then. Once the kid on the door knob let go and it sent him flying about 5 feet to the ground:D

StrobeNGH

no user title
A Taser introduces electric impulses to the body which can, and have, caused death.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/11/15/taser.death/

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0730taser30.html

You are messing with the body's electric impulses when you tase someone.

NOT something to be taken lightly.

Bones heal, bruises fade, pepper spray wears off, egoes recover . . . death is permanent.

But to be honest, this thread scares me.

I'm a lawyer and I know this stuff. Shouldn't you, a LEO who carries and uses a Taser, know what Tasers do better than anyone else?

When you were Tased, were there defib's and people trained in CPR on hand?
Ever wonder why?

Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
Beanbags, OC and batons can kill you as well, not to mention the fact that on the side of the road any thing other than a taser will leave you open to stepping out into traffic.

redbulltj

I'm a cutter
A small quote from one of the weak news articles from the lawyers post:

"A Chicago medical examiner has ruled that shocks from a Taser were responsible for the death of a man in February, marking the first time that the electronic stun gun has been named as the primary cause of death." "The death is the 18th case in which a coroner has cited Taser as a factor in someone's death and the fourth case where Taser has been named as a cause of death. But in all of those, Taser was secondary to other factors such as drugs, heart conditions or mental illness."

With the wide use of tasers........thats pretty good odds. I took a ride with the taser.....once it's over...instant recovery.

People need to take responsibility for their actions, act civil and realize the highway is not the time and place to dispute a ticket.

With any tool of the trade, it needs to be used right. When it's not used right, then disipline is needed.

I thought the LAWYER could have done alot better proving his point.....citing two news articles was silly.

I think most people would change there mind about tasers once they are placed in the shoes of a LEO......people don't realize how many people want to hurt, kill and mame a LEO to get out of a situation they put THEMSELVES in. That is exactly why I am going to retire....it's not worth it anymore to me. I have had way too many close calls.......I have been shot at, many fights and almost had to shoot a few guys to the point my weapon was at 1/2 hammer.

People just don't realize how dangerous it is. I could give anyone on RME 15-20 feet (most people feel safe at that distance) and I could incapasitate you before you could draw a gun or a taser. Thats how quick things can go bad. (NE_UTAH knows what I am talking about)

I dosen't matter how people feel about tasers.......just like any job in America.....there are good people and bad people in Law Enforcement.

eh.....I am so sick and tired of the BS arguments about tasers, cops ect....

Just don't think you can interupt a Kerry speech and not get tased! Just don't think you can disobey a cops orders and not get tased....do stupid thing and stupid things can happen...

..If you think your dealing with a hot head cop, don't give him a reason to smack you around....fight him in court and most times you will win. (hot head cop are not the smartest tool in the shed)

ok, I am done with the rant

Last edited:

Batman

I think tasers are probably about the safest way an officer can force submission when an individual refuses to comply to an order. That kid was clearly refusing to comply with an officer's order.

Hey NE_Utah I have some buddies in the Uintah County Sheriffs Office. Who are you?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
People just don't realize how dangerous it is. I could give anyone on RME 15-20 feet (most people feel safe at that distance) and I could incapasitate you before you could draw a gun or a taser. Thats how quick things can go bad.

How many times have you gotten close to tasing me:p