Wider Rear Axle than Front

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
camicaztoy said:
don't see a problem, hell most chevys came with a wider front than rear from the factory.
That is just it.

Most came that way, I'm going to run the opposite. I know in the past I have heard that this could effect turning, I'm just wondering if it is noticable.

Caleb

Shawn said:
That is just it.

Most came that way, I'm going to run the opposite. I know in the past I have heard that this could effect turning, I'm just wondering if it is noticable.

yeah, you got it...I have heard they are wider on front to help the turning radius, with it wider in the rear it may decrease it a little bit, but I doubt it will be very noticeable at all...

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
Shawn said:
That is just it.

When you are trying to turn around an obstacle the rear axle will track way way farther in.

You know how it is, swinging wide so the rear axle won't hit an obstacle you are wheeling around. With a wider rear axle you'll really have to swing wide comparatively or you'll end up with your rear axle right on top of it.

For that reason alot of people like to have a rear axle that is a couple of inches narrower than the front. That way tracking is not nearly as much of an issue.

:)

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
chevtech said:
When you are trying to turn around an obstacle the rear axle will track way way farther in.

You know how it is, swinging wide so the rear axle won't hit an obstacle you are wheeling around. With a wider rear axle you'll really have to swing wide comparatively or you'll end up with your rear axle right on top of it.

For that reason alot of people like to have a rear axle that is a couple of inches narrower than the front. That way tracking is not nearly as much of an issue.

:)

Ya, sounds like a huge problem... One inch wider on each side! :rolleyes:

My rear 44 is narrower than my front 30 by 3" with the spacers or 6" without the spacers! :D

grinch

inner city redneck
tweakeyjeep said:
Ya, sounds like a huge problem... One inch wider on each side! :rolleyes:

My rear 44 is narrower than my front 30 by 3" with the spacers or 6" without the spacers! :D

Actually this can be a huge problem on an off road vehicle :rolleyes: ... 1or 2 inches multiplied by wheelbase makes your rear track quite a bit different.... Witch makes hitting your proper line with your rear axle a lot harder...
On a street vehicle it doesn't matter as much because rear tire placement while turning a corner on pavement isn't very important.... So in a way your right tweaky if your heep is a street jeep like yours it wont matter one bit..... :eek: ...

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
grinch said:
Actually this can be a huge problem on an off road vehicle :rolleyes: ... 1or 2 inches multiplied by wheelbase makes your rear track quite a bit different.... Witch makes hitting your proper line with your rear axle a lot harder...
On a street vehicle it doesn't matter as much because rear tire placement while turning a corner on pavement isn't very important.... So in a way your right tweaky if your heep is a street jeep like yours it wont matter one bit..... :eek: ...

You're not catching my point idiot! I have a narrower axle in the rear! :D So... It's not my problem!

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I'm sure you already thought of this Shawn but just get spacers for the front.

But i don't see it being a problem if it's only an inch on each side?

grinch

inner city redneck
tweakeyjeep said:
You're not catching my point idiot! I have a narrower axle in the rear! :D So... It's not my problem!
Tweaky tweaky tweaky..... IM an Idiot???? We wernt talking about your track width problems now were we. I am not the one giving misinformation (That track width in not an issue. It is a major one on 4x4 vehicles. There is a good reason a lot of comp buggies run different track widths front and rear). About the only Misinformation your going to get from me is my spelling. And im not going to tell people well this is how my brothers, friends, sisters, cows, ants, uncles rig is so I think it should be like that. My info comes from rigs I have personally built or worked on. You might want to watch it when you get your poo poo panties in a bunch or you might get a rock jibed off your head (is that snow bro enough for you to understand ?).... But hay im all stressed out trying to get my own heep ready for Moab so maybe im taking this a little personal........

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I am entertained by Tweeky bashing Grinch but the way I understand Shawns rig is going to be built and used a slightly wider rear will probably never be noticed let alone be a huge or major issue.

And Shawn I beleive converting to 1/2ton outer stuff from Chevy/Jeep and Ford will if I remember right increase the trackwidth an inch on each side. You will have to have some shafts cut down and splined to fit the 30 carrier though. The bonus will be more strenth.