Wife wants to join Gold's Gym - haggle for price of membership?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
The better half wants to join Gold's. I want to get the best deal possible on a contract. Is it possible to haggle with them? Tips? Tricks? I'm horrible at haggling with people, so any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I have had 2 BIL's sign up, each has had nothing but trouble when it comes time to cancel. They continue to draft payments, send letters of collections, etc.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
we were able to haggle them down quite a bit, but we were buying 4 memberships. went in looking for 2, but told them if the price was right we would get our boys in on it too. Ended up with 4 VIP memberships for 20 per, plus tax.

dutchman

KI7KSV
My wife and I got our 36 month VIP memberships for just under $1000. We paid over 6 months and got 4 free months added. If you can pay up front or over 6 months you'll get the best deal.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Just buy her the Insanity workout DVD set, my wife has been putting them to use for almost 2 months and it is very effective. I also bought a treadmill just before Christmas to put downstairs.

Ogre Palowakski

I'll be no help when it comes to haggling. I can say however that whether or not she joins a gym will have a lot to do with her goals. I have several coworkers who are doing the Insanity workout and they seem to like it. It looks very intense. If your wife is interested in losing weight and getting toned and lean, Insanity may be the ticket.

If she wants to build muscle, she's going to need to use weights. I always laugh when I see the Insanity commercials showing a lot of bulky, ripped people. There's no way you can get that much lean mass by burning calories and leaping around just using your own body weight. It's also useful to point out that even if she does lift weights and even if she does it intensely, while eating tons of protein, etc. she will *not* look like a bodybuilder. Most women won't lift weights cause they don't want to end up looking like a guy. That just doesn't happen unless they are also taking steroids, testosterone and growth hormone.

Anyway, she may want to look into Gold's Express, which is a month by month deal.

Just my 2 cents

Caleb

I've had many Golds memberships over the years. Sometimes you can kick their asses on the price, sometime they won't budge. My best was a 3 year VIP for my wife and I for 800 (total, worked out to a little over $11 a month each). I'm currently on a plan through my company and it's $11 per month (they pull $5.50 per check) for VIP and it's month to month. Unless the one closest to you is an express, I'd skip the express. The one that just opened by me is nice, but they are only open from 5-11 and even less on the weekends. If you buy a regular membership (not even a VIP) you can go to any Golds including the Expresses. If you buy the Expresses, it's 9.99 a month and can only be used at that one Express location. I've never had any problems with canceling and still being charged, etc. I have heard of many people having problems with that though. ANother option is to check out the local Rec Center. Their passes are usually less and include a whole lot more. I had one for my family and our nanny and it was $36/month for everyone. That included swimming, classes, gym, racketball, volleyball, etc. Also their facilities are way nicer. Gold's facilities are garbage. Even the brand new Express by my house already has broken equipment in it. DOwnside to the Rec Centers is they are only open till 9 or 10pm.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Wife and I were just talking about this and she got mad at me for trying to haggle them for her renew. She got 30 months for just over 500 regular membership 3 years ago. Its just over 17 a month. I want it down to 15.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Thanks for all the advice guys.

We own a plethora of workout videos, including P90x. She can't find the motivation to use those, so she thinks joining a gym and getting a personal trainer will motivate her to work out. She wants to lose weight, not necessarily build muscle.

I mentioned the local rec center, she said she'd looked at the prices and it wasn't much different to go to Gold's, plus the rec center doesn't have trainers.

Probably next Saturday we'll go have a chat at Gold's, see what they can do. Keep the suggestions coming!

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'd have her join the local rec center first. Usually they are month to month and she can get a feel for how she likes going to the gym Golds Gym will not let you out of a contract without a huge fight. If you sign her up and after 2 months she's going once every other week, it will be a let down and you'll be stuck. Ask me how I know haha. Or, ask gold's if they'll do a 2 month trial for $50 or something. My .02

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Plus golds gym has free babysitting if you are a VIP member. That is a big deal for us. We can both go to the gym and the kids can play in a locked room.

We buy ours from KSL off of someone trying to get out of their membership. That has been the cheapest way to get it for us. Even at the gym you should be able to get it for 20 bucks a month if you pay up front. We are usually around 12-15 each.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
We didn't find that our Gold's offered anything that the neighborhood rec center didn't for half the price, and getting them to stop billing us once our membership expired was a PITA just like others have said. I suppose it depends on how well set up your community center is, but ours has a pool, jogging track, raquetball courts, a climbing wall, child care, exercise classes, the works.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
Golds dominates over the rec center Devin. Endless equipment, long hours, cardio cinema, spin, aerobics, swimming whatever you're into. It is also cheaper than the rec. DEFINITELY HAGGLE! I have had a pass for about six years now and I've never paid more than 12-15 bucks a month. the ONLY downside to me is that you will have to buy 2 or 3 years to get that price. Or do what Davy said and buy it off someone, just check on transfer fees first. Rec centers are okay, but I regularly use multiple locations of Golds and the equipment is much better.

Caleb

I remember when Gold's was just a meathead gym. Now, I feel there's much more value than it used to be (I'm talking 1990's costs vs what they offered).
:)
Apparently you haven't been to Golds lately. :D That's one reason I hate going to Golds is it's a bunch of meatheads still. The other big reason is their equipment is garbage and they never maintain it. For what they charge for their membership fees, and the number of people there, the equipment should be in pristine shape at all times.

Ogre Palowakski

Here's another good option for getting in fantastic shape...

http://www.pureworkoutslc.com/

I've been going there for about 10 weeks and it has helped me get a lot of definition and core strength. It's the best workout I've ever done and I used to do Krav Maga, which was brutally difficult.

Watch for specials online. Sometimes they have a 6 week "boot camp" for $69.

iphone-20121028111333-1.jpg

Last edited: