Wilderness: The Great Debate

kkemp

Any of you see this program? It aired on KUED last week. If you missed it, you can watch it on line at http://www.kued.org/productions/wilderness/watch.php.

It's supposed to be unbiased I think, but it sure didn't come across that way to me. It mostly just pissed me off.

In the program, the point was made by someone in the offroad community that there are other land designations besides wilderness that would protect land from development but still allow for recreaction. Can someone tell me, what those are? The obvious ones are National Park and National Monument. I don't include state park, because I'm mainly asking about designations for federal public lands.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Any of you see this program? It aired on KUED last week. If you missed it, you can watch it on line at http://www.kued.org/productions/wilderness/watch.php.

It's supposed to be unbiased I think, but it sure didn't come across that way to me. It mostly just pissed me off.

In the program, the point was made by someone in the offroad community that there are other land designations besides wilderness that would protect land from development but still allow for recreaction. Can someone tell me, what those are? The obvious ones are National Park and National Monument. I don't include state park, because I'm mainly asking about designations for federal public lands.

All BLM lands are heavily managed. Under the last round of RMP's practically everything went to designated route only with very few open play areas. You really can't do anything on BLM lands without going through a lengthy process that includes the NEPA studies and all. The wilderness advocates try to make it look like these lands could be developed unless they are designated wilderness when that is simply not the case.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

Compared to what I was expecting this to be, I think it was less biased than it easily could have been based on who was producing it. What drives me nuts is how Robert Redford can preach not wanting to protect "wilderness" from development for commercial purposes, but yet he has torn up an entire mountainside for a commercial purpose.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Compared to what I was expecting this to be, I think it was less biased than it easily could have been based on who was producing it. What drives me nuts is how Robert Redford can preach not wanting to protect "wilderness" from development for commercial purposes, but yet he has torn up an entire mountainside for a commercial purpose.

And got busted for a Wilderness violation by heli-skiing in a Wilderness area. Hypocrite major!

kkemp

Not to mention he really had nothing intelligent to say. He kinda kept repeating the same crap about how we need wilderness. Actually, the person that really turned my stomach was the woman from SUWA, I can't remember her name. But talk about someone thinking she is the authority on how the land needs to be used and everyone else are just morons.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Actually, the person that really turned my stomach was the woman from SUWA, I can't remember her name. But talk about someone thinking she is the authority on how the land needs to be used and everyone else are just morons.

That was Heidi Macintosh.....one of the main SUWA lawyers. She also happens to be married to one of the channel 5 news anchors. I cannot remember his name, but he usually does stories on the enviroment.......go figure.

Will3161

All those things are is the small minority of high and mighty liberals throwing words out to see where they'll land. The vast majority of people aren't inclined to think the way they do. We just need to get our message out. Ironically, I bet the ones that advocate "wilderness" all the time are rarely in it.

bobmed

- - - -
One problem is the misconception of what wilderness designation really means.
I was watching one of the crime show channels and in the story they had a part at a murder scene.
They were standing in some trees at the side of a highway in New York and were saying how a murder could happen in "the wilderness" just 50 yards from the road. :eek: