Willard Peak road open???

crawldaddy

Im wanting to do a little scouting for the upcoming hunt and get the dogs out on grouse this weekend. Id like to go up to Willard peak by way of Mantua but have heard the road is being worked on. Does anybody know if the road is open? From what I understand is that they are grating the road and covering it with gravel so that I can drive grandma's Buick up it:sick:

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
Im wanting to do a little scouting for the upcoming hunt and get the dogs out on grouse this weekend. Id like to go up to Willard peak by way of Mantua but have heard the road is being worked on. Does anybody know if the road is open? From what I understand is that they are grating the road and covering it with gravel so that I can drive grandma's Buick up it:sick:

I am not sure if it is open yet or not. I would like to take a drive up there before the snow hits. We went up there over Memorial Day, still a good amount of snow but it was fun. We got out by going out towards Avon. I would say you could probably back track in from Avon and maybe bypass some of the construction if it's still going on. If it's still closed you will still be close enough to find some grouse by taking one of the smaller roads around closer to the base of the mountain.
Good Luck. If you do decide to go let us know if it's open or not.

Kirk

I was up there Aug 29. I think they were done with their work. There was a lot of equipment parked at the bottom of the canyon. The road has been widened, and smoothed out a lot. You could drive a car up there easily now. I think we drove to the top in an hour.

Cherokeester

I was up there Aug 29. I think they were done with their work. There was a lot of equipment parked at the bottom of the canyon. The road has been widened, and smoothed out a lot. You could drive a car up there easily now. I think we drove to the top in an hour.

I don't get it, why would they waste money doing that? I guess owning a Jeep sways my view point but still...

bradm

shameless posing...
I don't get it, why would they waste money doing that? I guess owning a Jeep sways my view point but still...

My guess would be because not all who want to access and use public land drive 4x4's. And more people using the road and lands makes a better argument for keeping it open.

Oh, and yes I believe it is open. My bro-in-law was just up there on a 4wheeler.

crawldaddy

Well I went up Saturday and had a great time. With in 2 miles of the summit I passed a total of 3 mini vans, 1 Jetta, and I lost count at 300 4 wheelers. Next time I think Ill drive the Subaru Outback up so that I can enjoy air conditioning. The road is pretty tame, but I think I found where I'm going deer hunting. Now all I need to do is whip my sorry butt into shape.:D