Willys Jeep ID

Hey guys. Ran across this '64 Jeep Willys the other day. Anybody know anything about the hardtop on it? Custom or original? Any ideas/info?

Attachments

• IMAG3810.JPG
    IMAG3810.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG3809.JPG
    IMAG3809.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG3812.JPG
    IMAG3812.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG3811.JPG
    IMAG3811.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 14

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I've seen em on jeeps before, but usually on jeeps older than 1960's. Not a custom thing, probably an original option from the dealer.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Agreed that you will see that top on more of the 50's era Willy's. I dig it.. Not the yellow though.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Little google search brought me to here.

The first hard top produced for the civilian Jeep was a steel half cab made by Willys-Overland itself, and offered as an option from the beginning of civilian Jeep production. Like the Jeep it was a serious utilitarian instrument designed to complement the variety of farm and industry uses imagined by Willys-Overland.

7WillysHardTopBoveeBros.JPG

6Halfcab3BCrane.JPG

5CJ2WillysTop.JPG

12MeyerPlowHardtop2A.JPG

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My dad had a '48 Willys with a Montgomery Ward hardtop on it for what that's worth. My point being, there were a LOT of weird ways to configure a Jeep until the '60s. I'd almost imagine that being an aftermarket top of somekind. Maybe even a "Bubba-built"?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Willys used to offer hardtops by a couple different manufacturers, and one of the main ones was a company by the name of Koenig, who also made winches back in the day... might try to see if there are any painted-over ID tags on the top anywhere.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Hardtops/Koenig.html

also, here's a shot of the ID tag you're looking for:
IMG_2757.jpg

Like Marc said, there were a lot of options for Jeep stuff back when... but not all that many hardtops and the early Jeeps are fairly well-documented-- not to Mopar standards, but what is? :D You should be able to get a good, authoritative answer from the old Jeep guys out there without much trouble.