Winching Session

plaidfro

I would like to see if there is a suitable area to hold a 'breakout session' for people wanting to learn to winch correctly during a noob run or anytime if a group is interested. I have been reading a ton about winching, but I am now finding that practical application is giong to be the best teacher.

I would like to get some experience with basic skills in:
a straight pull
pulling with a snatch block both double and triple rigged
proper anchor selection and proper rigging
understanding basic rescue of another vehicle that has rolled

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
We have talked about doing this as part of the 'Intro to 4-wheeling/Newbie' class. Winching/recovery would make up one segment of the potential class, covering things like equipment overview, designing a recovery, anticipating loads, choosing the needed equipment and verifying ratings, etc. Hopefully we get enough interest and help to make it happen, more on that here: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=81760

As far as an area to practice with your winch, anywhere really. We've done recovery classes in the past up AF Canyon, Five Mile Pass could easily work and last year I hosted one at a local park. While we didn't string up the winch we covered just about everything but...

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I want to say there was talk of possibly doing this during a noob run in May. Basically an all day trip out at 5-mile focusing on basics and recovery and a bunch of stuff like that.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I do need to get two snatch blocks, 2 or 3 D-shackles, and a recovery strap. Where is a well priced local place to pick these up?

I've got all the ARB recovery gear in stock including all of the gear you mentioned. Stop by and pick some up and I'd be happy to give you a quick tutorial on some of the gear usage.

You can view the options here:
http://cruiseroutfitters.com/recovery.html

Fwiw needing two snatch-blocks is a very rare scenario and while it never hurts to have a wide variety and depth of gear to pull from in a recovery situation, there are things I would recommend before snatchblock #2. For example, you don't list a tree-strap or winch extension strap on your list, both of which are far more likely to be needed before a single snatch-block let alone two. That said each vehicle and user will have different needs based on their vehicle GVW, winch capacity and travel habits.

sixstringsteve

I'd love to learn about this as well. I've never owned a winch because they scare me and I don't know how to use them. This is just what I need.

I think it might be cool to have a monthly or bi-monthly meet and greet/wheeling, and rotate topics every month. But that's WAY more involved than we can handle right now.

I just started a thread looking for some feedback on the next noob run:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?p=759438#post759438

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'd love to learn about this as well. I've never owned a winch because they scare me and I don't know how to use them. This is just what I need.

Winches can be very dangerous even under the best of circumstances, cold weather, adrenaline and haste and things can get really dangerous.

I think it might be cool to have a monthly or bi-monthly meet and greet/wheeling, and rotate topics every month. But that's WAY more involved than we can handle right now.

You might look into some of the local clubs as they are doing just that, most/many are open invite too.

plaidfro

I thought that a recovery strap would be fine as a tree strap. Is there something more special about a specific tree strap that makes it more 'tree friendly' than a regular recovery strap?

Again why I made a post for a winch session... so I can learn.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I thought that a recovery strap would be fine as a tree strap. Is there something more special about a specific tree strap that makes it more 'tree friendly' than a regular recovery strap?

Again why I made a post for a winch session... so I can learn.

It all depends on the particulars but the standard 'recovery' strap or 'snatch' strap is dynamic/elastic, meaning it is designed to stretch 10-20% to cushion the recovery and provide a sling-shot yank when recovering vehicle to vehicle. You don't want to introduce any stretch in a winch operation, that stretching is stored kinetic energy, if something lets loose or breaks you now have a projectile potential. Thus a winch extension strap or tree strap will be static/non-elastic, zero stretch. There are similar caveats to all recovery equipment, direction to use shackles, snatch block setup, observance of winch rope layers, etc.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
i was just recently at a heavy duty towing and recovery class, id be more than happy to help setup a "class" in explaining load ratings on winch cable and the snatch blocks among other things

190747_1638000476396_1428286145_31452782_5796819_n.jpg

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
i was just recently at a heavy duty towing and recovery class, id be more than happy to help setup a "class" in explaining load ratings on winch cable and the snatch blocks among other things

190747_1638000476396_1428286145_31452782_5796819_n.jpg

Always was interested in working in towing and recovery. Wanted to get my Wreck master and find a job doin it. But started delivering doughnuts instead lol.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
No family. Was a truck driver for 5 years. That was enough for me. Been home for almost 2 years. Been trying to make up for lost time lol. I know the recovery business isn't much better as the trucking world .

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
Wow, you guys are fully awesome. I wish I could attend this, but as it is, I will be sliding into UT in mid June.
I recently bought my second winch, and still haven't really used it. Not much to use it for here. My first winch never even made it onto the Jeep, I sold it after it languished for a year, along with my pile of parts I used to drive.
If you are looking for suggestions for when to do it, I am feeling a bit selfish and offer up the second week in June.
:)