Windows 10 install?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Just a confession, I don't normally do windows, I got pulled into building a PC and my brother in law wanted windows. Made the mistake of how hard could this be and here I am. I boot off USB, punch in the license key, pick where I want it installed and get to 1% and then it says Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x8007025D.

Details
ASRock B450M pro4-f motherboard
SanDisk SSD drive (sata)
16G memory
AMD 3200g

Tried with downloaded iso vs direct to USB and on the ISO it wants some kind of driver and it only lets me pick a LAN driver off the disk that came with the motherboard. It sits for an hour before it lets me continue then throws an error again. I go through the install again and it throws up an error that a previous installation was found so it did something I guess, should be able to write to disk. I'm not sure why windows changes the install depending on how you made the USB but it's windows so I don't always understand it... ;)

Anyone have insight on what I'm doing wrong or not doing right? Started a centos install when I started this thread and it completed so I don't think I have a hardware problem, just a windows getting along with my hardware problem.

Any ideas before I try adding fuel and spark? ;)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Other things I've tried
partitioned the disk so I'm just using 100G for windows vs the 1TB drive
got 3 USB drives with a windows 10 install on, they all fail with the same error.
moved USBs to different ports

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So I believe windows likes to copy the install files from the USB to RAM for installation. Run a check on your ram for errors, bios should able to do that. Lucky for me I have a couple gaming computers in the household I have to support for the kids. Freaking windows....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I’m not much use. We image stuff.....(WIM file and Dell image Assist). 15 min to a new machine and you’re good. What you’re doing sounds “fun”.

I might kill the partitions and try on the 1 Tb disk as a single drive?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So I believe windows likes to copy the install files from the USB to RAM for installation. Run a check on your ram for errors, bios should able to do that. Lucky for me I have a couple gaming computers in the household I have to support for the kids. Freaking windows....
I didn't see an option to check ram in bios, enabled epel and installed stress to test it out, so far I haven't been able to get a memory error
[root@johnjohn ~]# stress --vm 4 --vm-bytes 4G --timeout 180
stress: info: [5644] dispatching hogs: 0 cpu, 0 io, 4 vm, 0 hdd
stress: info: [5644] successful run completed in 180s
[root@johnjohn ~]#
for fun I really abused it and made it non-responsive but no crash:
[root@johnjohn ~]# stress --cpu 4 --timeout 30 --vm 4 --vm-bytes 4G
stress: info: [5781] dispatching hogs: 4 cpu, 0 io, 4 vm, 0 hdd
stress: info: [5781] successful run completed in 30s
[root@johnjohn ~]#

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I’m not much use. We image stuff.....(WIM file and Dell image Assist). 15 min to a new machine and you’re good. What you’re doing sounds “fun”.

I might kill the partitions and try on the 1 Tb disk as a single drive?
Originally I was attempting to just install on the single drive, it threw up a message that windows was going to create additional partitions and created 3 partitions for the windows install, similar error that way also. I seem to remember windows back in the old days letting you partition drives easier, after it failed and dumped me back to the install screen it doesn't let me delete the primary partition but I can delete the MBR and the other smaller one.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Not much help myself, but all my windows 10 installs have been off USB drives. Been the easiest system I've installed on a fresh machine. Wish I could be of more help

shortstraw8

What I would attempt to rule out hardware or corrupted install files is
Try to install windows from your ISO on VM or another machine
Are you able install linux on the hardware without error?
Are you booting with secure boot and UEFI. What format is your boot partition?
Where are you getting your ISO from?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think I have it, going through the send stuff to the mother ship now... The iso was downloaded direct from Microsoft, for some reason I think it is sensitive to how the USB is created. It failed using the Microsoft provided tool, it failed when I used a dd command on my Linux box, the only time I've been past the 1% copied is when I used Rufus on my old windows box to put the iso on the USB.

J-mobzz

It’s funny how we hate things we don’t know. I’ve done 5 windows 10 installs in the past 6ish weeks but a couple weeks ago I did a ram and ssd upgrade on my girlfriends MacBook Pro and was ready throw it out the window, run it over and light it on fire when trying to load the new os saying how stupid it is and how much easier windows is.
I don’t have any suggestions but I feel your pain and wish you luck.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
It’s funny how we hate things we don’t know. I’ve done 5 windows 10 installs in the past 6ish weeks but a couple weeks ago I did a ram and ssd upgrade on my girlfriends MacBook Pro and was ready throw it out the window, run it over and light it on fire when trying to load the new os saying how stupid it is and how much easier windows is.
I don’t have any suggestions but I feel your pain and wish you luck.
I got a Mac for work and there are times I wonder what kind of cult I got myself into. :rofl:

Gave up after a couple hours of any moment now and poked it in the eye, once it rebooted it continued and I finished the user configuration.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I got a Mac for work and there are times I wonder what kind of cult I got myself into. :rofl:

Gave up after a couple hours of any moment now and poked it in the eye, once it rebooted it continued and I finished the user configuration.

That was a common thing on 1709 or 1803 builds. I’m curious what version you have when you’re done. (Winver from the command prompt will tell you if you are fuzzy on the command)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
That was a common thing on 1709 or 1803 builds. I’m curious what version you have when you’re done. (Winver from the command prompt will tell you if you are fuzzy on the command)
Turned it over to him already, the iso I used was one that I used a while ago that was successful so it's possible it was an affected build.