Windows Vista

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Who has it, what version, what do you like and not like?

I have a copy of ultimate. So far I like it. Seems like they took XP and just changed the places of somethings. The see through thing is kind of cool, but not that cool. And I keep getting a warning box everytime I try to open a program that says "Windows needs your permission to continue" even when I open a windows program. Is there a way to disable that? Or to add common programs to an always accept list?

I need to find a TV tuner card so I can mess with the media center part too.

78mitsu

I have it in RC1a, it's buggy and it's a memory hog, I haven't used the latest, but I do have a vista server(beta 2) I just turned up this morning, haven't done much but turned up the std windows services. I'm doing OA&M and benchmark testing on that version.

Last edited:

MattL

I have used it with rc 1 and 2 and it worked fine. There are alot of small changes that over time get easier to deal with. the uac is able to be turned off so that is not a problem. the wireless options are kinda cool. It takes some time to get used to. the sync center never worked for me. There are lots of eye candy stuff, and file organization is different, like user profile locations.
Just got the msdn vista ultimate but have gone back to xp from rc2.

Anyway if you have an oppertunity to try, do it but have patience at first. Make sure you have a decent system. I have a duo core d620 and i got a 2 out of 10 on performance from the inhouse performance test in vista. This is with 2 gigs of ram and 256 video card.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Where is the RC 2 version floating around? I would like to try it.

As I understand it RC1 is the official release, that they will continue to offer support on it, and offer upgrades to the final release with support. And as strange as it sounds RC2 will not be supported. So it maybe easier and better to find RC1 still.

78mitsu

it's been out to anyone with the MSD(edit-n) pack since the middle of OCT. I was pretty disappointed in the beta versions and the first RC's so I probabbly won't play with it again until it hits full release. IE7 is pretty cool tho- looks like mozilla, wonder where they got that Idea.

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
It has been fully released to the MSDN and business accounts now. The retail release is Jan 30th.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Running Ultimate on a test workstation here on an MSDN license. I hate UAC, but a reg edit took care of that.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Want to share what the regedit is? or are you going to make me take the 10 minutes on google to figure it out?? :)

Isn't there a way to disable it through windows?

Has anyone tried the file sync program?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I just ran across the answer to turning off the User Account Control

You clik your acount picture (the picture at the top) in the start menu and go to "Turn User Control Acound On or Off" and turn it off and then just do a restart and your set.