"Wingin' it" 4x6-ish Trailer Thread

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
First one is with one spacer.

sBYl2JXl.jpg

Second is with two spacers to check needed clearance. Measurement shows just over an inch with the extra 1.75" spacer.

9SLsOcpl.jpg

sixstringsteve

so if you widened your axle 7", you would have that much clearance on each side? would 7" wider put you wider than your jeep's track width?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If he widened the axle 3.5", he'd have the pictured amount of clearance on each side.

sixstringsteve

I suppose if you widened it 7" you would still have the issue of the wheel centers not fitting over the hubs. i forgot about that part.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Widen the axle. It's much easier than you think. Another welding party at my house?

If you're offering I'd love the help. I'm not real concerned about chopping the frame and doing the work that way, with how fast this has gone you all can see I have plenty of free time on my hands.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Here are some shots from a trailer I built last year.

Specs and Dimensions:
5'x8'.
205/75/14 Jaxxon tires on white steel wheels.
2" ball mount.
2"x6" pine decking with a coat of boiled linseed oil.
2000lb axle. 5x4.5" hub pattern.
Dual 2800lb safety chains.
68" outside tire measurement.
Wiring done before the deck.
7 tow strap tie downs.
Axle is positioned 2/3rds back so it tows excellent at speed.
1.5" ID square stake pockets flush mounted to the deck on all 4 corners.

a1762ea2-2f1c-4ba1-b749-7d6c32ae5ecf_zpsc0344cfd.jpg

7fdc74b2-7aba-4005-871a-7397f2895bff_zpsd0566380.jpg

b34d9fd3-e54c-493c-b5b2-b7a99a2fc5e4_zps46398c95.jpg

I could do a little build thread if you'd like.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Today I learned the difference between pipe and tube. The axle I cut is pipe, tube is what I wish it was since there isn't pipe out there that nests well within itself. The OD is 2 3/8" while the ID is 2.102". The closest I can come to sleeving the inside is 2" which isn't tight and the closest I can come to the OD is 2.5" which also allows plenty of wiggle.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole point of sleeving is to have a tight fit of the two pieces which help absorb and distribute the stress placed on it. Having two pieces that aren't tight before welding defeats the purpose of the sleeve.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Right.

Find a piece that is just barely too big to fit the I.D., and turn it down on the lathe for a snug fit. Pipe sucks that way.

I have a chunk of 3500 lb trailer axle if you need a "filler" piece to go in where you're lengthening it.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I'd bet it's still tube, just with an odd wall thickness. The reason I say that is Tube is measured by OD, as tube is structural, so 2 3/8 is a pretty even number and pretty available.

Pipe however, is measured by ID, as pipe is used for transferring material, usually liquid or gas, and you'd be hard pressed to find "2.102" pipe"...

I agree with Carl though. Get some steel that is slightly oversized, and have it turned down to fit tight. I could turn it down for you, probably cheaper than you think.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Get a section of 2 3/8" pipe.
Cut to length.
Tack 3 longer pieces of angle clocked in 3 equidistant places around the original axle tube and the lengthening piece and butt weld the pieces together.
Then run some welds down the angle iron to reinforce the addition.

This is what I did (well similarly) to straighten a bent trailer axle after cutting a pie wedge out. I ran it for a few years after that with no adverse effects.

Sure sleeving it is nicer looking, but if you don't have access to a lathe it works.

#MSPaintcad
tube legthening.png

Attachments

• tube legthening.png
    tube legthening.png
    319 bytes · Views: 8
Last edited: