Winter 4x4 Jamboree Pictures/Video Thread

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Tail gunned on John's trail 8am

One over backwards roll and a little rock rash on some fender flares. Good times!

Met a lot of cool folks with some nice equipment.

Great day!

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I lead plan B yesterday. No pictures as I was spotting most of the day but a great trip. One 1999 100 series was on our trail. It did great but did decide to take a nap on two wheels. Got a little fender/door damage. Took a small group through the last obstacles without any incident. A really good time just slow moving like all large groups are. Leading Renegade today. We will see how that goes.

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Plan B 8am on Saturday. What a day!

It's hard to explain but the carnage I am about to explain is probably a result of just bad luck vs anything else. This is a great trail with some beautiful scenery.

So starting out we had a rubicon TJ split a pitman when we were making a turn in the sand. Luckily when the call went over the radio some one had another pitman arm and every chipped in the tools and in about 20-30 mins we were rolling again.

Next we had a driveline ujoint that needed a little attention but they group had the tools and a spare so another quick stop and we were rolling.

Trying to make up some time in the dunes is where things got bad. A newer driver, who I do think was used to sand, made a simple mistake of not making sure what was in front of him and "flew" his Cherokee off the top of a dune resulting in a complete lawn dart. No hit, bounce, and skip. This was a hit and stick. Both air bags went off, completely ripped the front axle in two, and luckily everybody was all right. I was herding a couple of stragglers so when I came up on them, they had already had checked everyone out and were started on recovery. They had a great group of friends with them and were rally together with a recovery plan. We called in to the event recovery team and told them we would check on them on the way out. I have a pic or two that I will post later.

So After all this, by the time we actually got to the trail head we arrived at the same time as the 10:00 Plan B... Will continue later.

Hopefully the guys from the trail will chime in. :)

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Why would I want to check Facebook? :confused: I might have to eventually, if I continue to be disappointed here. ;)

Bart

I tail gunned Double Sammy on Friday and Milts Mile on Saturday. Great weather, good groups, obviously some were in over their heads but we did get them through the trails. Sorry, no pics except for sitting on the trail. It gets lonely at the rear.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Plan B 8am on Saturday. What a day!

It's hard to explain but the carnage I am about to explain is probably a result of just bad luck vs anything else. This is a great trail with some beautiful scenery.

So starting out we had a rubicon TJ split a pitman when we were making a turn in the sand. Luckily when the call went over the radio some one had another pitman arm and every chipped in the tools and in about 20-30 mins we were rolling again.

Next we had a driveline ujoint that needed a little attention but they group had the tools and a spare so another quick stop and we were rolling.

Trying to make up some time in the dunes is where things got bad. A newer driver, who I do think was used to sand, made a simple mistake of not making sure what was in front of him and "flew" his Cherokee off the top of a dune resulting in a complete lawn dart. No hit, bounce, and skip. This was a hit and stick. Both air bags went off, completely ripped the front axle in two, and luckily everybody was all right. I was herding a couple of stragglers so when I came up on them, they had already had checked everyone out and were started on recovery. They had a great group of friends with them and were rally together with a recovery plan. We called in to the event recovery team and told them we would check on them on the way out. I have a pic or two that I will post later.

So After all this, by the time we actually got to the trail head we arrived at the same time as the 10:00 Plan B... Will continue later.

Hopefully the guys from the trail will chime in. :)

Ok continuing on...

Once we actually got on the trail we were able to make some pretty good time. Plan B is a awesome with some fun and challenging obstacles that are relatively safe. You might mess up your stuff but you aren't going to die. :)

We made it through the core part of the trail without issues, all the drivers were patient and calm as they tried different lines and they made there way through.

We had a pretty set up commando, Anthony, make a pretty awesome optional full throttle climb towards they end of the trail. I am hoping that someone will post it up, I was spotting so sorry no pics.

As we got into the optional loop at the end it was a pretty small group of rigs. Tim's LJ, Brian's JKU, Anthony's Commando, Larry's TJ, Tom's Cherokee, and Bill's? Cherokee along with my scrambler and my wife's CJ7.

The First 5+ foot ledge was a little tricky, we were able to get the LJ and Cherokees up without much trouble but the JKU didn't quite have the break over angle to make it. We put a catch strap on the front of TJ and with some cool driving and a couple guys keeping the suspension from unloading he came right up. After spotting everyone else up, I could see the line and me and the wife popped right up.

The next couple of obstacles on the optional loop went pretty smoothly until Tom's Cherokee spit a driveline u joint on a steep off chamber climb and we took a min to change it out. Luckily when it let go and hit the rock it didn't mangle the yoke too bad so we a little persuasion we got it put together and he drove right up.

Hopefully since I am doing the typing and there was a lot of cameras going that someone will post up pics and videos. Without pics the story isn't as much fun until we got to the dunes on the way out.

With the sunlight starting to fade and me with a lack of head lights and some hungry little co-pilots, everyone started a pretty quick run through the dunes. Everyone was making pretty good time until Tom in his green Cherokee didn't quite make the top and out of reflex he tried to flip it around to go back down. Needless to say the sand was too soft, the slope to steep, and a lack of momentum left him sideways which lead to a roll in the sand. Luckily he landed back on his wheels without hydro-locking the engine, his internal roll cage kept everyone safe, but it didn't save the windshield, roof or roof rack. The roof rack and spare tire successfully planted themselves in the sand next to where the jeep came to rest. Luckily everyone was still close by so we quickly cleaned things up strapped things back on top and drove out.

We made it to the fairground in time for some great BBQ and buy some raffle tickets. It was good to hear from Gil UPLA president and the BLM representative, too. Its good to hear we are making a difference, but there is still more work to do! (Write your letters!)

All in all is was a great weekend. I was able to spend some amazing quality time with my family, hang out with some old friends, and make some new friends, (seriously awesome people I wouldn't hesitate to run with any of these guys again.)

It is always a good time working on a trail crew with guys you know and trust. Tim and Brian thanks to you and your families for all the help with kids. You guys are the best!