Winter camping

kyojin

Any winter campers here? I've been on several winter campouts in my life both as a boy scout and as a boy scout leader. Where are some good spots in Salt lake and utah county? I'm looking for somewhere up in the mountains preferably.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've had some great winter trips into the swell, Escalante, Capital Reef, etc. I'm not particularly sure what is good around the Wasatch Front though

Corban_White

If you are looking to drive close to some deep snow you can go up to the top of guardsman pass, or up to tibble fork. Most of the picnic areas on the way up to tibble fork are avaliable to camp at during the winter but you have to reserve your spot thru the PG ranger station. There are also some areas east of heber as well as in the western uintas. Have fun! :)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
winter camping is the best camping.

You can get permits to camp up AF canyon in the winter. Normally you have to be 1/2 mile off the road but in the winter, with the permit you can camp just about anywhere. That is a great place to start if you are going with someone less experienced in winter camping. They usually leave the bathrooms open too. You can also snowshoe into a lot of really cool places to camp. Joes valley is cool right now too with all the ice in. Lots and lots of frozen pillars and stuff. The camp ground on the far side of the lake is free in the winter with picnic tables and bathrooms. You might have to fight some ice climbers for a spot, but I have never had a problem. If you don't want the camp ground scene then drive up the road a little from the joes valley CG and you will have infinity places to camp(with some good snow wheeling). Down south is cool this time of year because the red rocks look awesome in the snow. If you wanna go let me know I would be up for some more winter camping.

sixstringsteve

For a quick overnighter, I really like camping at Little Sahara sand dunes. You could take the Pony Express trail out there for a fun day drive.

You'll probably be pitching a tent on dirt instead of snow, but it doesn't get TOO cold there at night. Not "snow" camping, but still winter camping.

kyojin

Thanks for the replies. I would eventually like to snow shoe into something but for now just a drive in spot with a good amount of snow. I want to make sure my gear and preparation is good enough first before I do anything more. I'll look into the Tibble Fork area. Thanks guys.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Harker Canyon South of Vernon is a nice place to test out your gear.. plus you won't have many people near you this time of year and PE is just a hop skip and a jump away if you felt the need to take a long drive into the middle of nowhere :)

roverrocks

It's a long ways away but Arches NP is a really great place to be in the winter. Camping plus lots of beautiful hikes in the snow. The Moab area is spectacular in the snow.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Winter camping is great! :cool:

Two tips for anyone wanting to get into it: 1. Put water in the percolator (spelling?) BEFORE going to sleep so you don't spend all morning trying to thaw out a plastic water bottle. 2. Go to the bathroom BEFORE you get comfy in your nice warm sleeping bag and don't go crazy on the tasty beverages :ugh: I can't think of anything worse than the call during the middle of the night in -0* weather :ugh: :rofl:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Winter camping is great! :cool:

Two tips for anyone wanting to get into it: 1. Put water in the percolator (spelling?) BEFORE going to sleep so you don't spend all morning trying to thaw out a plastic water bottle. 2. Go to the bathroom BEFORE you get comfy in your nice warm sleeping bag and don't go crazy on the tasty beverages :ugh: I can't think of anything worse than the call during the middle of the night in -0* weather :ugh: :rofl:

Modification to this.. Boil water and put it in a Nalgine bottle then put it in your bag (nice preheat and you have thawed water in the morning that is faster to heat up than a frozen perk pot) :) and bring a 1L wide mouth Mt dew bottle to bed with you.. just in case you went crazy on the beverages :)..

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
We used to do winter camps up around Bell's Cyn. It required a hike, but was always a good time. We did a couple back in the day up Big Cottonwood, like at Spruces CG. We would only have to walk in a short distance and dig a snow cave. That was back in the day, I don't know if they still allow that or not. CG picnic tables make for sweet snow caves...:p

Clutch

My Friend and I went winter camping in Mt. Pleasant last weekend. We tried to get to our property, but too much snow. The stars at night were spectacular! Did some ice fishing too. We drove to the top of Fairview canyon too. I had to stand on the end of the bed of my truck to look over the snow.

Attachments

• IMG00136-20110129-1106.jpg
    IMG00136-20110129-1106.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 24

mesha

By endurance we conquer
^ that looks fun. I love it when you dont even have to pile the snow for a snow cave.

jdub

Scrambler
I'd suggest the diamond fork hot pots. Go up Spanish Fork canyon and hang a left at diamond fork. You get cold, hop in the pots.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
wyatt, his girl friend(well he makes me call her his fiancee), my wife, and I snowshoed into one of the yurts in the ashley national forest a couple of weeks ago. It was super cool and only 30 bucks. You can carry less gear cause the woodburning stove gets the place nice and warm. 3 miles in and 3 miles out. It was a great time. They provide wood and propane for the camp chef. no one around and it was beautiful. I went out to the outhouse at night and my headlamp made the snow sparkle like Edwards skin:0