Winter Trail Recommendations

Box Rocket

bored
Hey guys I'm trying to get out of town for a few days next weekend (jan-14-17) and while I've explored a lot of areas in the state, I haven't done much during the winter months. I'm planning to head down south to avoid as much snow as possible. I've been thinking Hole in the Rock or possibly taking NPS633 north from Hite toward Hans Flat Ranger Station then either head east into the SRS or north from Horseshoe Canyon Jct to Green River.

Any thoughts on these routes this time of year? I'm not locked into either one just yet so if you have other suggestions for good winter trails/camping down south I'm all ears. At this point the trucks going are my FZJ80, my BIL's LX570 (both well built). I feel pretty experienced, my BIL is 'intermediate' in terms of experience. It's also possible we might have a stock FJ Cruiser with us with a mostly novice driver, but we're not sure if he's coming yet.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I would avoid HITR with snow on the ground. If you haven't been on it, it has a LOT of steep & offcamber slickrock and with snow it would be nothing but treacherous and not worth the risk IMO.

When are you thinking of going out? I think my brother & I are heading towards the Swell, then possibly Left Hand Collet road and the Burr Trail towards the end of the month. Somewhere in that area, at least.

Box Rocket

bored
I guess that's the question right? Is there snow on the HITR trail. Wish I could know for sure. Good advice though.

The more I think about it, the first route I mentioned is likely what we'll end up doing since it's a route that is very easy when dry so even if there is some snow it shouldn't be dangerous, just difficult maybe.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's hard to say what HITR looks like right now but Moab does have snow on the ground. Just last week somebody was on Hells Revenge in a brand new Wrangler, they ended up sliding off the trail and rolled it over. I would think that if Moab has snow on the ground then the area around HITR would also have snow.