Witch One?

Mr.Chevy

OK so I am building up a street truck out of a 1981 Chevy C-10. At this time it has no motor and a tranny that I don't know if it even works. So I am going to build me a motor but I need help on what motor to go with. I thought of just going with a 350 but I want to try out a big block for a change. Like a 454 :) But I don't know what kind of power you can get out of them. I have always thought that the 454 was a big torque monster but not horse power. What I want is really good horse power and some thing I can get parts for easy but still want some thing I can run on pump gas. So should I just stick with the 350 or should I take that and make a 383. Or would I be better off getting a 454? What would be cost wise and good power wise? Let me know what you guys think.

Also should I go with a 350, 400 or 700r4 for tranny. I plane on beefing it up also but witch one is essayer to beef up?

Thanks
Alan

chadschoon

I had a 71 chev with a 383 stroker with everything forged and built for nos, also a built 700r4 but I spent a pretty penny for that stuff. but it was a fun drag truck ;)

Id do it again. that or find a sweet ls1 or something like that :)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I have always thought that the 454 was a big torque monster but not horse power. What I want is really good horse power and some thing I can get parts for easy but still want some thing I can run on pump gas. So should I just stick with the 350 or should I take that and make a 383. Or would I be better off getting a 454? What would be cost wise and good power wise? Let me know what you guys think.

Also should I go with a 350, 400 or 700r4 for tranny. I plane on beefing it up also but witch one is essayer to beef up?

Thanks
Alan

You can make massive horsepower, with correspondingly massive torque, from a big block. Check out the GM Performance Parts catalog for crate motor specs.

Stock for stock, you're going to get a lot of power out of a 454... cam it, get a better intake, and you're making a ton of power. HOWEVER they are more expensive to build. Depends on what you're going for. Personally, I'm adding a cam to my TBI build, and it should be somewhere around 275hp and say... 450ft lbs or something. I am not looking for crazy horsepower.

If you want to rev them, you will spend money on valvetrain, or suffer the consequences.

As for the tranny, the TH400 is the easiest/cheapest to beef up.