WJ's with an 8" lift.

addifan

I found a V8 WJ with selec track. Is it true that this is what is recommended if I wanna do an 8" lift w/ 35" tires? I thought I read somewhere that the other systems won't work since there isn't a yoke eliminator. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Unfortunately it won't do you much good.

1. Most of the vibes on big dubs come from the front end since they have the low pinion 30 and a relatively short front driveshaft. The 2wd with the 242 is worthless unless you can unlock your front end. Since they don't make a manual hub kit for WJ Dana 30's the only way you can rest your front shaft in 2wd is to swap in a front axle with manual hubs.

2. The 242's that come with V8 WJ's a a bit different than every other 242 (specifically the main shaft and tail housing). It's not possible to do a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) kit on a V8 WJ 242 case. You can do one on a I-6 WJ case but then you need to swap a lot of internal parts to make it work with the V8 tranny.

Every person I know that has a 8"+ lift on a WJ with stock axles hates the ride quality. The only way to dial everything in is to have a 2wd case (i.e. 242 or Atlas) and swap in a high pinion front axle and set your brackets up correctly for your lift height. To be completely safe you can alway throw a high pinion in the rear too. Unfortunately all this is $$$'s. :(

I will go on the record as saying it's absolutely impossible to dial in a WJ at 8" with stock axles. If you try and get a decent pinion angle out of your front end your caster ends up at like -5 degrees when it should really be like +5 to +7. If the axle is rotated just a hair from it's stock location the 8" coils will bow like muthas.

Trust me on this one. It's not worth it to ruin a WJ with an 8" lift unless you address all the potential issues. I opened a huge can of worms when I put mine up high, and it cost wayyyyy toooo much $'s to get everything dialed in. Stick with a 4" lift unless you want to start a money pit. :)

Mike

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I almost bought a white one that was running around...good thing I realized that it was built by a skychrome shop up in ogden so I could verify the trashiness of the work....gigantic welded together aluminum pucks are not my kind of lift....:rolleyes:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
no offense, but if you really don't understand the stuff mike just said, and you don't have a really deep bank account, you deffinately need to find a new project or settle for a more modest lift.

Cody

Ben

Creasey
i have had nothing fall apart on all the wj's that iv'e done.(what have u heard about the old Krawler Joints that every one should have got a rebuild kit 4 )

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by Ben
i have had nothing fall apart on all the wj's that iv'e done.(what have u heard about the old Krawler Joints that every one should have got a rebuild kit 4 )

My friend Matt is running it and he keeps ripping the actual arm off the joint area (right on the welds.) I haven't been impressed with their work as I have heard this happening on a lot of their products, especially with the "torque arm" itself breaking.

Just not something that I would look into for a long arm. Try Claytons long arm for WJ's...that's what I would recommend.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Of the people that I know that use their kit on ZJ/WJ's, half of them arn't super tickled with it, and the half that likes the kit didn't like the service they received. I'm not trying to badmouth them, but thats the word in the Grand Cherocar circle.

I'm not down withe short upper rear either.

Cody

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Originally posted by GroceryGetter
no offense, but if you really don't understand the stuff mike just said, and you don't have a really deep bank account, you deffinately need to find a new project or settle for a more modest lift.

Cody

Ditto, start out with something mild until you have the knowledge and experience to address the issues you'll have when going to that height.

Ben

Creasey
they break he torque arm bracke probley beacuse they dont weld were the in the proper stuff. and the wj doesnt have a torque arm.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by Ben
they break he torque arm bracke probley beacuse they dont weld were the in the proper stuff. and the wj doesnt have a torque arm.

"English mother scratcher, do you speak it?!"

Last edited by a moderator:

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
My cousin just brought his wife's WJ over.... Holy shiz... It looks good... I am jealous because it looks better than my wrangler. I am actually amazed because it has the 35's on it, but still has room to flex... I thought it would be stuffing the wheel wells with the 35's on it. I am very suprised with it... Looks good.

He now wants to put bumpers and rock sliders and put in bigger axles and lockers etc. etc etc... He wants it to go wherever his wrangler will go...

His wrangler is way setup too, but that's another story.

jeepzz

Originally posted by Mike_Lib
I opened a huge can of worms when I put mine up high, and it cost wayyyyy toooo much $'s to get everything dialed in.
Mike
Mike, what was your final solution? Did you swap in the high pinion and have the axle ends cut & rotated?