Wolverine Question? Stator/Spark

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
Picked up a '96 Yamaha Wolverine in trade for my SKS. Kinda excited, it's in good shape but does not run (hence the the trade not being to much of a steal, a $1000+ quad for a $350 gun). I've worked a little bit on it and got it to crank over with the starter (starter would not activate when I got it home). It will give a spark to the plug only once as you first touch the starter and then it goes dead. When I arranged the trade with my buddy at work he told me it had no spark. I was thinking it needed a stator, but if the stator was dead would it give any spark at all? Should I be looking at a CDI/Ignitor instead?
FYI It does this "single spark" with a new spark plug and an old one (I don't think this is plug related). I don't have a good battery, I'm just using the "crank assist" from my battery charger.

I was once told by a mechanic at a dealership that if there is no spark then 99.9% of the time it is a stator, but I DO have spark for the first stroke of the piston (what I'm thinking is that there is only one "charge" in the CDI to fire the coil when recieving a signal from the crank trigger).

Anyone have any thoughts?

jevyguy

Try tapping the cdi with the handle of a screwdriver to see if that changes anything. It could be something related to the stator, but I doubt it is.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I think your best bet is to buy a Yamaha service manual and pick it apart with a multi-meter. You can easily test every component with those two things. Could be something as simple as a bad/severed ground. Stators usually just crap out and read open when they fail but its really hard to say. Hope this helps,

Andrew