Wood Miter saw to cut light steel??

CJJ92yj

Anyone ever use an abrasive blade on their wood miter saw to cut light steel? I've got a few cuts to make, just square ones, in a piece of 1"x1" square tube.

Only need to do about 10 cuts for this project, and want nice square cuts. Anyone see a problem with this? Let the FLAME begin.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
CJJ92yj said:
Anyone ever use an abrasive blade on their wood miter saw to cut light steel? I've got a few cuts to make, just square ones, in a piece of 1"x1" square tube.

Only need to do about 10 cuts for this project, and want nice square cuts. Anyone see a problem with this? Let the FLAME begin.
I have used an abrasive saw on my circular saw before. Try it and let us know how long it takes to fry your saw............. :eek:

olywrestle

Duct Tape
Shawn said:
I have used an abrasive saw on my circular saw before. Try it and let us know how long it takes to fry your saw............. :eek:

I got a metal cutting blade from home depot and put it on my chop saw. Made 4 cuts in DOM tubing. No problems just had to go slow. If you spray water on while cutting helps keep the temp down, my tubing was freakin hot by the time I got done. made very nice smooth cuts.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
olywrestle said:
I got a metal cutting blade from home depot and put it on my chop saw. Made 4 cuts in DOM tubing. No problems just had to go slow. If you spray water on while cutting helps keep the temp down, my tubing was freakin hot by the time I got done. made very nice smooth cuts.

A chop saw is designed for cutting metal........ I don't follow your statment.

ps,

Adding water to hot metal can harden the metal making it even harder to cut.

Caleb

just becareful and go slow, also remember the motor on those are not really up to the task and will burn out if you are not careful...IMO, I would never try it...find a friend or shop that will do the cuts real quick for ya...however there are more guys than you would think that do it, search on PBB and you'll see what I mean... :eek:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Shawn said:
...Adding water to hot metal can harden the metal making it even harder to cut.

Agreed, water (or sim. coolant) is applied to the metal in order to save the bit or blade such as in a drill press or commecial band saw... An abrasive blade works off of friction, aka heat...

olywrestle

Duct Tape
Shawn said:
A chop saw is designed for cutting metal........ I don't follow your statment.

ps,

Adding water to hot metal can harden the metal making it even harder to cut.

I have only used mine for woodworking, and bought it for t woodworking. it isn't a real heavy duty one though...thats all. didn't know if he had thought of this as an option.

olywrestle

Duct Tape
cruiseroutfit said:
Agreed, water (or sim. coolant) is applied to the metal in order to save the bit or blade such as in a drill press or commecial band saw... An abrasive blade works off of friction, aka heat...

Good too know, I didn't use lube (water) on mine. I didn't think it would get hot enough to cause a reaction of hardening the metal. I thought that had to be like 1000 degrees. Learn something new everyday...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Metal blades for table/ miter saws will work FINE, just go slow-- miter saw motors aren't really all that tough.

They sell them for cutting metal, so cut metal.

that said, an actual chop saw is much better LOL

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
not me, brother! I watched others make expensive mistakes!

That's why I say go slooooooow if you have to.

Really, how much does it cost to get something done for you? Personally, there's no real reason I'd be cutting metal, as I have zero welding skills and therefore, know enough to leave it to the professionals. If for some reason I had to chop some metal, I'd either have it done for me somewhere, or if it was enough of a job to warrant it, just shell out for a chopsaw-- but probably a HF model LOL

you're right though, my idiot friend fried a very nice Makita miter saw chopping 2x4's. Very sad.

BioNuke1

Jeepsus Chrystler
I'm using a abrasive metal cutting disc on my 3hp 10" Craftsman compound miter saw, works really well, obviously don't force feed it..... let it grind through on its own :rolleyes:

Last edited:
R

rockdog

cruiseroutfit said:

Damn, you sound more like an engineer every day! :rofl: :rofl:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My first two chop saw's were given to me free, and were designed for cutting wood. They never cut wood at my house. ;) that said... they were my first TWO chop saws. I now have a metal chop saw.