Wood or Pellet Stove?

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Anyone use either?

Know where to get a decent cheap priced one?

Looking for a freestanding, either, in the 1-400$ range.

Brian

Caleb

pellet stoves tend to be the most expensive and the least efficient. We had one in my parents house, wihtout the blower on it had a hard time heating our family room, the blower was pretty noisey so you couldn't really use it while watching a movie, tv, etc. A wood burning stove will heat your entire hosue if you want it to. My parents replaced their pellet stove with a gas furnace/heater thing (just hangs on the wall) and it heats their whole basement now pretty easily with no blower. IMO, I'd avoid the pellet stove and go for the wood if those are your choices.

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
I'm a fan of wood stoves, personally. I'd check out the FireplacePlace in Orem. They do work all over Utah. They've got competitive prices and excellent quality and the staff are very knowledgeable. I know the owner, Ray, who's been in the business his entire life. The company was originally his father's and he took it over. Anyway it's a good store.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Ditto on the wood.... It's pretty tough to come by free pellets, but there's wood to be had durring the year like it's growing on trees... :rofl:

Woods a bit more work, but I think you'll be happier in the long run.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Personally, both mine are natural gas, but you know what a lazy buggar I am. If I can't light it with a remote from my lazyboy, what's the point? :D

Caleb

another thing to think about is if you loose power you can;t run your pellet stove ( they are fed with electronics) but if you loose power you can still use your wood stove. I have also heard pellets this year are really hard to find and when you do find them they are pricey, don't know if its true though.

Mine's nat. gas as well, don't think I'd have it any other way :D

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
We have 2 furnace rated natural gas fireplaces back home. They're a lot more efficient to run than our furnace, so that's usually all we use in the winter. They were super nice. Although wood stoves are less efficient than nat gas fireplaces, if you can get your wood for free, then what the heck. Plus, wood fires are prettier and create a better atmosphere IMO.