Word processor

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I think this has been discussed before but could not find it. Microsoft word costs $149 per computer or $69 per year for up to 4 computers. There has to be something out there that is more reasonable. Help.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Are you on Windows or macOS?
If you're on Windows, you have WordPad included. It's not nearly as powerful as Word, but for basic letter writing, ect. it works fine. Think of it like Word from 1995.
On macOS you have TextEdit and possibly Pages (depending on your version). Pages is a full feature word processor similar to Word. TextEdit is pretty basic, kinda like WordPad.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Forked, you say? Does OpenOffice really need more updates?

All I know is I've been an happy OpenOffice user for years now. A few months back, I downloaded the newest version (4.1.3) onto my new laptop, and it functions perfectly.

(shrug)
OpenOffice was under the Sun micro-systems umbrella which was purchased by Oracle, let's just say some people like to avoid Oracle if possible. This is a similar fork to MySQL and MariaDB, more or less to try and avoid Oracle.

shortstraw8

https://www.wps.com/
$80 for a lifetime license.

Or free with ads, I use the free version. Ads aren't terrible for how much I use it, and i like it. Pretty sleek interface to work with and I like it more than libreoffice for all my linux machines.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My kids have been using Google Docs for all their writing assignments and homework. To my casual observing, it seems to do everything that is needed. And I really like that it automagically saves your work for you...that has saved them several times. ;) (although that doesn't build good habits for saving work...)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My kids have been using Google Docs for all their writing assignments and homework. To my casual observing, it seems to do everything that is needed. And I really like that it automagically saves your work for you...that has saved them several times. ;) (although that doesn't build good habits for saving work...)

thats not the world we live in any more Carl!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
thats not the world we live in any more Carl!

What isn't? The world where you have to save stuff? I can't think of a single program I use on any regular basis that does it for me. (maybe Excel, but I only rarely touch that so I can't know for sure)