Would a person need a CDL to drive this?

GETBENT

CRASH
this rig is licensed as a moter home and i was wondering if anyone knows the laws about being able to drive this. would it require a CDL? any info would be great thanks.

Scott

Attachments

• TOTERRME.jpg
    TOTERRME.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 60

Caleb

I *think* as long as it's liscensed as a motorhome and not being used for comercial purposes you don't need a CDL. That would be a sweet setup :cool:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Supergper said:
I *think* as long as it's liscensed as a motorhome and not being used for comercial purposes you don't need a CDL. That would be a sweet setup :cool:

Correct. No CDL required. (probably should be though, cuz anybody's Grandpa can legally drive an 80,000 lb rig like that around the highways with no special training....)

GETBENT

CRASH
Sweet, good to hear that no CDL is required. I actually drove it to Moab for Jeep Safari, it belongs to the company I work for. It is a freightliner with a 435 hp mercedes I6 diesel and 10 spd automatic tranny (adjustable between auto and manual modes. Also has a 3 cylinder 10,000 kw (I think) Onan diesel generator on board! they claim its enough power to run all the lights in the truck and trailer AND 3 more rigs like it all at once!!! I'll post some more pics

Attachments

• toterrme2.jpg
    toterrme2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 32
  • toterrme3.jpg
    toterrme3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 27
  • toterrme4.jpg
    toterrme4.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 36
  • toterrme5.jpg
    toterrme5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

GETBENT

CRASH
I Lean said:
Correct. No CDL required. (probably should be though, cuz anybody's Grandpa can legally drive an 80,000 lb rig like that around the highways with no special training....)

I agree that it should be, I don't have a CDL and I drove it to Moab ( I have some knowledge about it all growing up with my dad as a truck driver ) but I'm going to go ahead and get a CDL just to be safe and learn more about it if my boss want's me to continue driving it.

drylok

Anything onver 26,000 lbs, requires a CDL. Se the link below.

http://http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-ut.html

When do I need a Utah CDL instead of my regular Utah Drivers License?
A Utah CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
You should need a C.D.L. , It has air brakes, you have to have an air brake indorsment. And i think you need a C.D.L. for that.

GETBENT

CRASH
offroaddave said:
You should need a C.D.L. , It has air brakes, you have to have an air brake indorsment. And i think you need a C.D.L. for that.

I see what you mean, I don't know if it makes a difference but the trailer has electric brakes and the truck has the air brakes.

Caleb

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume CMV=Commercial Motor Vehicles. See my qualifier in my previous post, I believe as long as it's not for commercial use a CDL is not required. However, it does sound like it's for his company so a CDL may be required for him. I'd personally check with the UHP or the DMV to make sure.

As far as air brakes, I believe just a class B has air brake endorsement. Even then, I don't think they are too hard on air brake enforcement. I know I've been pulled over in my company truck and the only thing I got sited for was our company had the wrong numbers on the truck. Our truck has air brakes and I don't have the endorsement, I only have my health card. Also, U-Haul's large trucks are air brakes and they rent them to anyone.

I dont think it's quite that cut and dried. From page 7 of the of the current Utah CDL manual:
"The following are exempt from the CDL requirements:
* Recreational Vehicles used solely as a family/personal conveyance for
recreational purposes
* Military use... [snip]
* Farm use... [snip]
* Emergency vehicles... [snip]"

I use a Freightliner to haul my mog around. If you know how to use it, IMO it is many times safer than towing with a 1-ton truck. Personally, I wouldn't even think of using it without knowing the basic stuff in the CDL manual inside and out, especially air brake theory and operation, but the law doesn't require it.

Getting a CDL is easy enough - I have had one in the past. There are a lot of other issues that come along with it besides the cost and hassle - like limitations on tickets, etc.

BTW, in Utah, you don't even need to register as a Motorhome if you don't want to. I can attest that having it registered as a motorhome helps when travelling out of state, though.

Caleb

drylok said:
Anything onver 26,000 lbs, requires a CDL. Se the link below.

http://http://www.cdl-course.com/faq-ut.html

When do I need a Utah CDL instead of my regular Utah Drivers License?
A Utah CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

from your same site...notice number 4

Are there any exemptions to being required to have Utah CDL?
Yes, a few . . .

1. Active Duty Military . . . with military licenses operating military vehicles.
2. Firefighters . . . meeting approved training standards and operating authorized emergency vehicles.
3. Farmers . . . in certain cases.
4. Individuals ....operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for nonbusiness purposes.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
No CDL required as long as it's an RV, bottom line, period. But, you can plan on being check for one now and then. Once the see it's an RV, they'll just wish you a good day.

Bone Down

Do you not have to put stickering (signage) indicating not for hire to keep it legal in Utah?

Guy I know has a freightliner (long haul truck) with a 53' low boy box that he hauls his quads and rail in with living quarters and they (UHP) made him install not for hire on the truck.