WOW, its ALIVE!!!

Caleb

So I just upped the RAM in my mac mini to 1GB and man did that wake it up...I was fine with the 256MB it came with for most stuff, but when I start a couple programs, or any movie editting it just went to a crawl (NEVER crashed mind you :D). Just thought I would share :rofl:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Alright so I've been looking at them... (my sister likes em)
What's the deal with adding $325 to go from 256 to a Gig of memory when you buy it from the apple store? :eek: Some special Apple only memory? :ugh:

Special Apple memory

While Apple is picky about memory (early versions of OSX would effectively lock out installed memory that was sub-apple-standard), pricing has probably got more to do with the Apple Geniuses who work in the factory. Did it mention brand names? Also, I haven't been inside a Mini, but I can imagine it's not like my G4 Sawtooth desktop, as far as working around wiring/cables, etc.

Caleb

Spork said:
Alright so I've been looking at them... (my sister likes em)
What's the deal with adding $325 to go from 256 to a Gig of memory when you buy it from the apple store? :eek: Some special Apple only memory? :ugh:

thats the same thing I said...almost buy a second mini for that cost. I went third party, paid $150 from Newegg.com. I think its just cause its form apple and most everything apple is $$$. Its extremely easy to open the mini up and replace the ram, opening it can be a little intimidating the first time (easiest to use a thin putty knife, but I did it with two butter knives tonight) but after the first time its a cake walk.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
ahh, Sony does the same thing... mini CD's for the sick Mavica I bought are like $3 from Sony, you can get a stack of 20 from TDK for like $10 or something... and every time I put one in it tells me "Mavica disc recommended"... well no ****, Sony makes a fortune on those..

so I take it the memory works fine so far?