Wrangler+fullwidth 60 up front question

TELFORD

its a work in progress
I have an 89 Wrangler, and I am going to do a fullwidth 2000 dodge 60 up front. I plan to do a spring over, and can see my drivers side spring perch is going to be a problem. What can be done here? They way it looks right now, the u bolt will run in the path of the diff cover, and will require alot of notching to work right. Anybody have any good ideas, or run across this problem before?

TELFORD

its a work in progress
anybody left the leafs in the stock location and fabed "something" that worked? I think could be a couple of ways of geting around doing a fullwidth kit.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
TELFORD said:
anybody left the leafs in the stock location and fabed "something" that worked? I think could be a couple of ways of geting around doing a fullwidth kit.

I believe you can do that with a '77-79 F*rd kingpin axle in a YJ. Everything else will take a little work, from what I understand. I've not worked with the 'Ram' D60 axle you have so I'm of little to no help. FWIW, I had to outboard my springs for my Chev D60 (slightly).

wildkid

...Jeepless...
Hey, I was thinking last night as I was driving home....
If you keep the spring width you have now (33 1/2" +/- out to out) that lands the driver side on the bump-stop pad - right? So, drill & tap studs into the pad, closest to the pumpkin and then use a u-bolt on the other side where it will fit. I think it would work. There looked like enough pad there to do that....
Anyone try this?:confused:

TELFORD

its a work in progress
I think that sounds like a good Idea, what about the the angle though, I guess when its set up, you would just have to account for that.

Caleb

wildkid said:
Degree shims, same as in the rear.

:sick:

on the front I wouldn't worry about it, on the rear make sure to weld the perches on at the correct angle. When you start changing pinion angle on the front you also in turn start to mess with your caster angle. So short of cutting and turning the knuckles, where the perch is already at is usually the best place to have it.

wildkid

...Jeepless...
Supergper said:
:sick:

on the front I wouldn't worry about it, on the rear make sure to weld the perches on at the correct angle. When you start changing pinion angle on the front you also in turn start to mess with your caster angle. So short of cutting and turning the knuckles, where the perch is already at is usually the best place to have it.

Good point ;) Except the pads on this axle were for the bump stops, not for spring perches. So we are a little more at the mercy of Dodge :)