Wrangler guys.....

amp713

This isnt just for wrangler guys, but is based more towards them.....

What top and door combo do you use and when???

Hard top winter, bikini summer, full doors all year?

Soft top and soft doors year round??

Frameless or framed soft tops???

The tough guy who runs no doors or top anytime?

Samersen

I run hard top and full doors in the winter. Then in the summer I run a combo or soft top/safari top/no top then either full/no doors. If I got down south in the summer it is usually no doors and safari top.

boogie_4wheel

Back when I had my CJ, it was soft top/doors in the winter and a bikini/no doors in the summer. Well, I should elaborate slightly...
When it started getting warm I would pull the doors and just roll up the sides and back (in case it got cold again). If the weather showed true for being nice I would pull the top and install the bikini.

It was tough to run without the bikini; the black vinyl seats got hot, and the sun on me all the time just sucked. Plus I could deal with some rain and not be soaking wet.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Personally, I loathe hard tops. Jeeps are all about going topless and being in touch with nature, IMO, and having a fiberglass wall between you and the outside ruins the whole experience.

In winter (December to March), I run an OEM soft top. I prefer half doors, so that means I'll have my OEM upper door halves installed as well. My current softtop Jeep came with both sets of doors, so I usually install the full doors in the winter simply because I have them. If I didn't have them, I wouldn't care.

For the rest of the year, I remove the entire soft top assembly from the Jeep. In its place goes a safari top (full-length bikini) and a rear duster cover. The full-size doors also get the heave ho. If weather looks threatening, I will carry my soft upper door halves with me and install them when/if rain actually falls--I'll also point my nose into the rain (when possible) to help keep the interior dry.

I never run doorless. Since I have half doors, I've never felt the desire to take them completely off while driving. If all I owned were the full-size doors, I might feel otherwise.

Anyway, this has been my routine for all five TJs I have owned.

amp713

My turn I guess!

I got my jeep with a hard top full doors and 2 bikini tops. I LOVE the bikini top and doorless. However when i drove to Colorado i threw on the hard top and doors since i was living out of the jeep for 4 days and didnt want anything walking off. Ive been debating on selling the hard top and buying a soft top with 2 piece soft doors..... If it wasnt for black leather seats Id probably run topless too!

Caleb

Personally, I loathe hard tops. Jeeps are all about going topless and being in touch with nature, IMO, and having a fiberglass wall between you and the outside ruins the whole experience.

In winter (December to March), I run an OEM soft top. I prefer half doors, so that means I'll have my OEM upper door halves installed as well. My current softtop Jeep came with both sets of doors, so I usually install the full doors in the winter simply because I have them. If I didn't have them, I wouldn't care.

For the rest of the year, I remove the entire soft top assembly from the Jeep. In its place goes a safari top (full-length bikini) and a rear duster cover. The full-size doors also get the heave ho. If weather looks threatening, I will carry my soft upper door halves with me and install them when/if rain actually falls--I'll also point my nose into the rain (when possible) to help keep the interior dry.

I never run doorless. Since I have half doors, I've never felt the desire to take them completely off while driving. If all I owned were the full-size doors, I might feel otherwise.

Anyway, this has been my routine for all five TJs I have owned.

Exactly my opinion except I always ran soft uppers if I had uppers on at all. The hard tops don't make much difference for warmth or noise so I find them more to be an annoyance than anything.

amp713

So lets ask what brand and style of softops you guys are all using??? Since im looking to get one soon!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm a hard top all the time kind of guy. I took it off for like 3 days but wanted it back on to protect my "stuff." I thought I might run without the freedom panels more too but I have pretty sensitive eyes and the sun was bugging them. I think at some point I'll get one of the spider top sun shade things and I would like to try a factory style soft top, but the Jeep money has been going to other things so far.

On my CJ7 I did run with a bikini top and I liked that quite a bit. I had soft doors with removable uppers and when I had the bikini on it used just the lowers. It felt weird to me to not have a door on and I liked having a place to rest my arm.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So lets ask what brand and style of softops you guys are all using???

OEM, or Bestop (which is the same thing). I have put new soft top replacements on two of my TJs, and I went with Bestop both times. There are cheaper brands out there, but none are better.

jr4x

Bikini top and no doors when possible. I have two rigs right now with the best-top tops that the sides and rear window unzip making it a bikini top. Lift the doors off and go from full top to bikini in however long it takes to stash them somewhere.

amp713

Bikini top and no doors when possible. I have two rigs right now with the best-top tops that the sides and rear window unzip making it a bikini top. Lift the doors off and go from full top to bikini in however long it takes to stash them somewhere.

Which top is that? Sounds like something id be after!

jr4x

Bestop-supertop. They are bad ass! I have one on an unlimited and one on a Geo Tracker. From full top to bikini top in less than a minute. I dont know how much the jeep ones cost, it came with the rig. The one for the Tracker was 400.

Bobzilla

Safari top all year long, 1/2 doors or full doors spring & fall hunting, no doors when its summer and its hot.

never really used the hard top you can't open or close the back door with a 35" spare tire on the stock mount.