WTF?!?! Why cant I pass emmisions?

shmoesmith

k- guys, I need some creative thinking here...my sammy refuses to pass emmisions..i have a K&N intake, thorley header&isky racing cam.....my stock carb passed on everything except CO's, of which it was 3X over the limit at 7 point somehting...so I went and bought a reman carb from FC (who I understand 2 be reputable)slapped that thing on, made sure I had no vacuum leaks or anythign....well, 2nd time around it passed everything, except the fawking CO's again...instead of 7.something it was 6.2 and was now only roughly 2.5 times over the limit....the oxygen sensor is new, oil changed, timing and valves to factory spec so....WTF IS WRONG WITH MY SAMMY THAT IT WONT PASS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

shmoesmith

I would say around 169,000 miles(hard to tell with a sammy since it reads as xx,xxx.x on the odo, so you dont know if it is under 100, over 100 or even over 200,000....everything was put to factory spec on the top half of the engine when I installed the isky racing cam....I had a new cat put in last year on the exhaust, so that shouldnt be the issue...besides, a bad Cat wouldnt account for why I only dropped about 1% overall on CO emmisions after installing a new carb....

shmoesmith

retard the timing???Hmmmm, i thought you wanted to advance the timing with an isky cam...i have mine at the stock 10degrees btdc...well, i hope i have spent enough money on the carb that with the whopping 1% reduction they will just voucher the thing...if not, does nayone know of anywhere that is reallllly good with carbs that have alot of electronics and sensors and vacuum check valves involved???

my4thjeep

when i moved to utah i had a 69 camaro with a 400hp 350. In ca, id, sc i was exempt. However in utah county i had to pass smog to get a stupid byu parking permit. I didn't pass 3 times before the i/m told me to turn my timing back so that it barely runs. Its ok to have raw gas coming out the tailpipe but not co.

Before jeeps this was my addiction.
camaro.gif

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by my4thjeep
Its ok to have raw gas coming out the tailpipe but not co.

[/IMG]
yup. also, hold your breath during the test. everytime you breath you are expelling poisonous gas..:rolleyes:

Vinnie Boy

I love my job
There is this stuff that you can get at NAPA called sea foam, I know that is sounds weird but it works great .
It droped my co on my blazer about 10 points.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
call a dealor or ask a sami guy. seriosly drop your jets down on the carb. should be easy. is it an asian? Mine on my toy runs 100 jet. stocks like 125? helps a ton.

shmoesmith

its a Hitachi carb....I just got my sammy vouchered because i had spent over $200 on it(for new carb purchase)and it had reduced total emmisions(by only 1%)....When i got it vouchered I had to go to some funny enviromental air quality thingy or something like that and show them the car to prove that i had a new carb and everything installed on it...They think that the carb that i got from autozone(remanufactured by FC)was a bad remanufacture job. As far as the jets go, there are probly 6 or 7 jets in there and it takes almost a full dismantaling of the carb to remove/replace them. As far as I know, you can not get smaller jets for that carb. Have you guys ever had a bad carb from autozone or FC remanufacturing?

spiderman

Amish dude
CO's usually means that you are running rich. so Skye is right about the jetting, but you might want to have your catalytic converter tested. A lot of exhaust shops test them for you for free. I had the same problem, damn near got it passed, but my converter had gutted itself! I promise I didn't do it! If that doesn't work, try running gauranteed to pass, or G2p, checker's and autozones carry this, and it works some of the time. Plus they have some double-money back gaurantee. Try those, hope it helps!