XJ Cherokee, cutting exhaust after the cat with a turn down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
just want to cut it for the sound.

you said you wanted it for the sound, but not anymore? Now it's money? I'm not sure what to believe now. I'm confused....I need a beer.

Is there something wrong with your tailpipe or some compelling reason why making your rig sound like a mexican lawn tractor is a good thing?

If there is a problem that putting on a turn down out of the cat for a short bit will solve, then cool. But if you're doing it because it sounds cool, well then I guess the newsflash is that it's not very cool. I'm sure at one point in time you thought Thornbirds are cool too, but I sure bet that you make fun of the kids that have them (even though they are still living in a fantasy world and think they are awesome)

Turndowns, thornbirds, and roof top spare tires. All = not cool unless there is absolutely no other practical option.

dStuck

ok it's both sound and money. im " thinking " about doing it till i can get a exhaust.

-also i've never liked thornbirds.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
well, I would 'think' about leaving it the way it is until you get an exhaust.

I didn't paint my tires pink when I was "thinking" of getting new tires. Did you? I'm sure all the 15 y/o girls will think thats about as cool as the sound your powerhouse 4.0 makes with a turndown after the cat.

Why do I always have to be the asshole? :D

dStuck

ok well thanks your your opinion, even if you are a bit of an ass :).

and why the hell would anyone want to paint the tires pink unless they have some weird barbie fettish : /...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
lol, why the hell would anyone want to unleash the awesome earth moving sound of the mighty 4.0 by cutting the exhaust off? Those little angry squirrels might escape, then you'd really have a problem on your hands.

I once had pink axle shafts and pink diff cover. But it was on a dana 44 which is basically what they put under the ****in barbie jeeps you can buy at Toys-R-Us anyway so it's pretty normal.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I was thinking about bringing those shafts up....but you took care of that. What'd the guy you bought think of the shaft you had to ship back to him that was pink?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
he didn't share my amusement with it.

I mean, what color should you paint a 44? you're limited to Pink, Lavender, Fuschia, and other shades of pink/purple. It's hard to find most of those colors in rattle can, so instead of wasting more time, I used pink.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I should charge you people to quote me. I swear there are like a half dozen people running around with codyisms in their sig.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Its unsafe to have the exhaust cut like you want, its illegal as the exhaust has to exit beyond the passenger compartment. Its annoying a rude to those around you that DON'T want to hear it, and will likely call the cops on you for disturbing the peace.

How much you wanna spend? Autozone has CherryBomb Turbo mufflers for a bit over $20, not as loud as a glasspack, but nice and mellow. While you are there, order a tailpipe for about $20 and get all the clamps you will need. You will also need a short section of tube, but get that when you get the muffler and tailpipe... For about $50, my XJ sounds pretty good.

Having moved here from California myself, to get away from Cali types, get it out of your system or go back. I hated Cali and do not want Utah turned into Cali...

Edit... I see you are IN Cali. Stay there... Just so very tired of all the Me First, to Hell with You types...

Last edited:

Cherokeester

I should charge you people to quote me. I swear there are like a half dozen people running around with codyisms in their sig.

I don't think that is good thing really. :eek:

Also, if he wants to have a turn down with no muffler he should have one. No horsepower benefit, CO headache, loud as hell, what's not to want?

Last edited:

dStuck

Its unsafe to have the exhaust cut like you want, its illegal as the exhaust has to exit beyond the passenger compartment. Its annoying a rude to those around you that DON'T want to hear it, and will likely call the cops on you for disturbing the peace.

How much you wanna spend? Autozone has CherryBomb Turbo mufflers for a bit over $20, not as loud as a glasspack, but nice and mellow. While you are there, order a tailpipe for about $20 and get all the clamps you will need. You will also need a short section of tube, but get that when you get the muffler and tailpipe... For about $50, my XJ sounds pretty good.

Having moved here from California myself, to get away from Cali types, get it out of your system or go back. I hated Cali and do not want Utah turned into Cali...

Edit... I see you are IN Cali. Stay there... Just so very tired of all the Me First, to Hell with You types...

hey thanks dude i'll check out auto zone.

yeah i know what u mean i allmost got ran off the road twice yesterday it's annoing. i go to Missouri and Oklahoma a lot and it's completely different.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Why do I always have to be the asshole? :D

Cody your not the only asshat on this thread... I started it...but just wasn;t able to sit around and keep it going like you did.... and you finished it quite well... except that I have a 44 under my cj...:cody:

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Even in Cali the have noise level standards. Too loud and you get a ticket. I had a couple tickets for loud exhaust with a 67 Mustang back in the 80s.

I've got a Flowmaster 40 series on my Ranger 4x4, only a 2.3 four banger, but it sounds fantastic. But after a couple hours driving it and the "buzz" in my ears kills me. But for some reason the Cherry Bomb glasspack didn't bother me at all under my V6 Caravan... I like the Cherry Bomb Turbo enough, I might put one on my ZJ.

Trust me, what goes in Cali won't fly well in other parts of the country... Dude.

hey thanks dude i'll check out auto zone.

yeah i know what u mean i allmost got ran off the road twice yesterday it's annoing. i go to Missouri and Oklahoma a lot and it's completely different.

dStuck

whats the difference in sound between the cherrybomb turbo and glasspack? because from what i've seen there around the same price

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Glasspack loud. Turbo quieter = no ticket...
CherryBomb, distrubing the peace since 1968!

Seriously, I have the CherryBomb Turbo on my XJ (well, my name is on the title, but my daughter drives it, damn Hello Kitty sticker). Nice tone, not too loud inside the rig and no complaints from the neighbors. This muffler on the 4.0 is quieter than the Flowmaster on my Ranger. But it still gives a nice mellow tone. No tuner fart tip...

Status
Not open for further replies.