XJ front upper coil mount relocation...critique this idea.

patriot

Here's the thread to my XJ's project...http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=13634

I had an idea last night about moving the front coils over to straighten them out. Sorry about the horrible picture, but you should get the idea.

xj-front-coil-move.bmp

I thought about cutting the spacer cup flat with the upper coil mount and welding a new 1/4" plate (blue), with a 1/4" gusset (blue) from the plate to the stock mount. Essentially making a new upper mount for the coil. This will allow the coil to be moved outward so the center is where the yellow line is, instead of the center being where the red line is. It should straighten the coil out, be easier than fabbing something on the radius arm, and give a little more stability.

What do you guys think, any problems you might forsee in this? A problem that might arise is that when the passenger side is raised up, the tire might hit the new perch.

If this doesn't work, I've got another idea, but any ideas on how to straighten this coil out would be helpful.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd ensure that your axle is centered and properly located (probably a 'duh', but always worth checking before you go cutting things). Rebuild your axle coil mounts on both sides to match each other with the springs perpendicular to the axle line.