XJ Gurus in here! Lift questions

One_bad_YJ

I have a 92 XJ

I was told when I bought it that it had a 2 inch lift, and it does sit higher than stock and fits 31's, but everyone that has looked at it says it is stock.

I would like it to sit just a little higher. But it is a Daily driver, and kid hauler so I need a few more inches without sacrificing ride quality.

So, everybody out there with lifted Xj's chime in on what kit you like, and how your rig rides with it.

I was just going to do a 3 inch puck up front, and I have *heard* there is higher arch spring that comes stock on a wrangler you can use out back to get a few more inches.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
I dont have an XJ but my friend does and his has the same problem you do. It's sayed it has a 3 inch on it but looks more like a 1/2-1. It does sit higher then stock. Sorry im no help, but i will be checking back on this thread to see what the deal is.

bradm

shameless posing...
I have a 92 XJ

I was told when I bought it that it had a 2 inch lift, and it does sit higher than stock and fits 31's, but everyone that has looked at it says it is stock.

I would like it to sit just a little higher. But it is a Daily driver, and kid hauler so I need a few more inches without sacrificing ride quality.

So, everybody out there with lifted Xj's chime in on what kit you like, and how your rig rides with it.

I was just going to do a 3 inch puck up front, and I have *heard* there is higher arch spring that comes stock on a wrangler you can use out back to get a few more inches.

Biggest question is, how much are you comfortable spending? There are plenty of decent "kits" out there, but if the money is tight pucks and add-a-leaves/extended shackles work. I'm in Bountiful too, shoot me a PM. I run 6" with 33's on my 99... but I started out in your shoes (3" on 31's).

Brad

Seven

I would think to figure out how much lift you want you will have to figure out how much you have now. the following link should give you a good idea how to measure how much lift you have now. The link is also a pretty good write up on what I sort of did to my xj. I added a 1.5 spacer to the grand cherokee springs for roughly 3.5 inches up front. and then did the add a leaf using dodge dakota springs for around 4 inches out back. I am pretty happy with how it rides and think it rides as good as stock. generally though anytime you go over 3 inches you might have to start worrying about doing a SYE with new driveshaft, track bar, and shims to make it ride good.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

xjshorty21

Buckle Up And Shut Up
look at your shocks too cause i know when i have lift some of them the shocks hold them down but from personal experiance i loved my 4.5 re kit not to high but still be able to do stuff... and if you decide you want to run 33 just put a puck and shackles... but about to SYE i have run 6 inch with out one and when i needed one to save money ( not the smartest wheeling thing to do but for most DD it would be fine) i would just get a transfer case lowering kit.... and if you use a yj spring and put them in your xj pack it is going to give you a higher lift but it rides alot rougher so if your going to lift the back just get shackles or a block( ew i hate block) but its also cheaper

One_bad_YJ

I would think to figure out how much lift you want you will have to figure out how much you have now. the following link should give you a good idea how to measure how much lift you have now. The link is also a pretty good write up on what I sort of did to my xj. I added a 1.5 spacer to the grand cherokee springs for roughly 3.5 inches up front. and then did the add a leaf using dodge dakota springs for around 4 inches out back. I am pretty happy with how it rides and think it rides as good as stock. generally though anytime you go over 3 inches you might have to start worrying about doing a SYE with new driveshaft, track bar, and shims to make it ride good.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

So would any Grand cherokee front springs work? Do they just go right in? Also, on the Dak rear springs, what would I need to get them in, and would any year work on those?

I am pretty interested in doing the ZJ front Dak rear Idea... Any info on this would be great. Do you have pics of your jeep?

Seven

Sorry for taking long to get back to you. You want grand cherokee springs out of a ZJ (93-97?) that has the V8 engine. The springs out of the V8 have a higher rate than the ones out of the I6 grand. I Got the V8 grand cherokee springs off ebay for 40.00 shipped. You need the V8 ones. they gave me about 2 inches. The hardest part of the dak pak out back was sourcing the new center pins, shims, and leaf spring clamps. I also made sure to reuse the friction pads in between the leafs and I also coated them with graphite paint which allows them to slide on each other (some say that the graphite paint makes it ride better). I got the dakota springs out of an 1987 4x4 but was told online that other years should work as long as they are a spring under configuration. Others have also been able to use rear leafs out of an S-10 with similar results. I also got some used procomp lower control arms off ebay for 60 shipped. I also won a rustys crossmember that has a one inch drop incorporated into it on ebay. As you can tell I kind of like ebay. Luckily I have no vibrations like some other XJ at 4 inches.

7xe3pl0.jpg

71gspsk.jpg

pELYgroso

'Merica
I put a cheapo daystar lift on my first cherokee. I think I payed like 120 on ebay for it. a 3" lift. consisted of new 3" lift coils for the front and a block for the rear. rode surprisingly well and I wheeled the heck out of that thing and nothing ever broke or went wrong. a good bang for the buck IMO. others may disagree......

Brett

Meat-Hippy
lol...the I6 weighs more than the V8 in the ZJ's, FYI

Save money, but quality parts. You won't like it if you just half ass it. I bought a complete Rubicon Express kit at 4.5" 's. The only thing I dislike are the short arms. Long arms are the next thing for me.

Oh, and since we're comparing e-heights. '89 Cherokee, 33" BFGs on the 4.5" kit.

Go me

Seven

please back up comment

Please show me where the I6 weighs more than the V8? It is nice to hear that your happy with your expensive lift. However I am very happy with mine also and would put mine against yours any day of the week for flex and comfort. The only thing that you might have is a little altitude on me. truth be told if I had the money I would also buy a expensive long arm kit, however I am not rich. I did what I could and am happy with the results.