XJ or ZJ

chadbuckner

Oh what a feeling..Toyota
I'm looking into getting some kind of cherokee, I have the Family thing happening soon.....but I'm not sure as to which to get, an XJ or a ZJ. it would be late 90's, what are the pros-cons to each? It would see some trail use but be mostly a DD and a weekend camping rig. It would end up getting a few upgrades but it won't be hardcore.....yet ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We've had both. My wife likes the XJ better. I'm kinda nuetral. I think the XJ would be easier/cheaper to mod and wheel, though if that's in the plans.

piecesnparts

I have a zj and the xjs have more mods available and are all aroung cheaper to wheel. One thing you dont see as many built zjs so it kind of sets you out of the croud. V8's are great though and I dont know if the xjs have them.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
xjs are cheaper and easier to build and wheel. but for comfort and roomieness(???) a zj is very nice, and i guess they are not that much more dificult to build. get one with the v8 and you will have plenty of power for towing or wheeling or whatever.

1995zj

I'm addicted
well i noticed that you said weekend camping. they are both excellent rigs however, if you want to power to tow...then go with a zj, but it will end up costing you more. they both average around the same mpg that i have noticed. IMHO the xj is a better pick for wheelin. thats just my 2cents

chadbuckner

1991xj said:
well i noticed that you said weekend camping. they are both excellent rigs however, if you want to power to tow...then go with a zj, but it will end up costing you more. they both average around the same mpg that i have noticed. IMHO the xj is a better pick for wheelin. thats just my 2cents
I drive a toy 4 banger right now, anything more than that will seem like a huge kick in the pants in terms of power:rofl:

metalry101

R/C addict
Either would be good, but if it were me, I'd go for a 4.0 XJ with the 5 speed. Taller gearing than the auto plus no slippage means you'll get better mileage, more fun for daily driving (it's a personal thing, but I don't think I could DD an auto), and arguably less wear and tear on the vehicle if you tow with it.

Speaking of which, neither of the two rigs is built for heavy towing, but either should haul a tent trailer with no problems, though I wouldn't tow much more with either given their light duty drivetrains (tranny in particular), tight engine bays (and the corresponding tendancy to run rather hot), soft suspensions, and weaksauce brakes.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
I'd rather tow with my old spongy leaf sprung (6" lift) XJ ANYDAY than tow with our ZJ (stock 'UpCountry' package). I did tow a tent trailer frequently with the XJ (the tongue was a convenient place to haul a spare D35 :D) and it handled that well. I'd estimate it's loaded weight around 1100-1300 lbs. I honestly wouldn't want to tow a lot more with it than that, though. I'd rather NOT tow with the ZJ (coil rear is kinda funky).

metalry101

R/C addict
mbryson said:
I'd rather tow with my old spongy leaf sprung (6" lift) XJ ANYDAY than tow with our ZJ (stock 'UpCountry' package). I did tow a tent trailer frequently with the XJ (the tongue was a convenient place to haul a spare D35 :D) and it handled that well. I'd estimate it's loaded weight around 1100-1300 lbs. I honestly wouldn't want to tow a lot more with it than that, though. I'd rather NOT tow with the ZJ (coil rear is kinda funky).
Makes sense. I've heard coils are a little interesting under a load, but then again, set up properly they obviously work all right. Look at all of the late model half-ton 'Burbs and Tahoes around. I'm pretty sure the Tahoes run the coils in the rear, and I know the '00-'06 half ton Suburbans do, and I haven't heard any complaints (not that I've been looking though). Obviously that's a heavier vehicle with more of a towing emphasis in the design, but still...it seems coils can work on some vehicles for towing, but I do agree that leaves are more stable and predictable with a trailer in tow.

That said...1300 lbs? That must have been a dinky tent trailer?? My parents have a tent trailer ('92 Starcraft I think it is)...and with our stuff in it, we estimate it to be around 2,000 lbs, and it's not exactly the big model...a queen in front and a full in back I think it is, just a basic trailer. Even our old '97 Grand Caravan Sport (2,000 lbs max towing capacity) towed it fine.

Last edited:

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
I've had both, i'd go with a ZJ again any day. Lifting them isn't all that hard. First thing to do would be to grab a D30 yolk off of an XJ and the front driveline to slap on there. 4 pucks to put you up 2" for uber cheap and clear some 31"s and you've gotta something comfortable for the whole family on the weekends that will wheel fairly well. XJ's get uncomfortable.

mbryson

Supporting Member
metalry101 said:
Makes sense. I've heard coils are a little interesting under a load, but then again, set up properly they obviously work all right. Look at all of the late model half-ton 'Burbs and Tahoes around. I'm pretty sure the Tahoes run the coils in the rear, and I know the '00-'06 half ton Suburbans do, and I haven't heard any complaints (not that I've been looking though). Obviously that's a heavier vehicle with more of a towing emphasis in the design, but still...it seems coils can work on some vehicles for towing, but I do agree that leaves are more stable and predictable with a trailer in tow.

That said...1300 lbs? That must have been a dinky tent trailer?? My parents have a tent trailer ('92 Starcraft I think it is)...and with our stuff in it, we estimate it to be around 2,000 lbs, and it's not exactly the big model...a queen in front and a full in back I think it is, just a basic trailer. Even our old '97 Grand Caravan Sport (2,000 lbs max towing capacity) towed it fine.

IFS 'burbs (at least 3/4 ton units that I was looking at) are leaf in the rear. I'm not sure about the half ton. You're right on the Tahoe's though. They look a little interesting to use from what I've seen on the freeway (front bucks over expansion joints and the then trailer pushes the truck around a little).

Badger

I am the Brute squad
would the addition of air bags in the coils or possibly a heavy swaybar in the rear with disconnects help ?i like my Xj but hate how under powered it is once lifted.sure gearing gets some of it back but gettin those larger tires spinning is still a harder job for a tired 4.0 . i would like to have a 360 powered Zj the 318s are ok but if you are going to deal with the extra weight you might as well get the extra power.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Badger said:
would the addition of air bags in the coils or possibly a heavy swaybar in the rear with disconnects help ?........

I don't know. Cody tried to tow his buggZJy with a ZJ for a year or two......he's got a Cummins now. I do know he had a weight distributing hitch and wasn't really satisfied with how it towed. I'm sure it had something to do with the brakes being the exact same as those on an XJ (that are kinda worthless on that platform), but I don't think he ever got the rear 'sway' figured out either.

metalry101

R/C addict
mbryson said:
IFS 'burbs (at least 3/4 ton units that I was looking at) are leaf in the rear. I'm not sure about the half ton. You're right on the Tahoe's though. They look a little interesting to use from what I've seen on the freeway (front bucks over expansion joints and the then trailer pushes the truck around a little).
You're exactly right about 3/4 tons, they still run leaves in the rear (and probably always will), as do the '92-'99 half tons, but the '00-'06 half tons went to a coil setup. As for their stability under load...I know the leaf sprung 'Burbs are rock solid, but I've never ridden in or driven one with or without a trailer, but if I were buying one to tow, I'd buy the 3/4 ton.

Meat_

Banned
Coil srpung rear can be built to tow a LOT of weight but that's not what any of the 4x's are built for.

60's Chev 2 dig 3/4 ton trucks were mostly coil sprung.

Ben

Creasey
hey chad we are selling are xj we just finished are xj just in time for easter it has the rockkrawler 8" long arm coil over kit and it rocks come by the shop and take a look at it and take it for a spin. were looking to sell it to.

Thanks Ben

chadbuckner

Ben said:
hey chad we are selling are xj we just finished are xj just in time for easter it has the rockkrawler 8" long arm coil over kit and it rocks come by the shop and take a look at it and take it for a spin. were looking to sell it to.

Thanks Ben
The question is how much... remember I have a kid on the way and real expensive probably wont work for me. I would love to see some pics and know a bit more about it before I take the time to drive from Ogden to Riverton. thanks for keeping me in mind :)