xj question, wagoneer axels or not

honda069

jeepin0_1
this swap is for an xj, I have a pair of wagoneer 44 axels, is it a good swap, right now I have a xj d44 and a hp d30, is it worth it to go to a low pinion 44, is it that much stronger and what tire size can I run with the 44s, I dont have a heavy foot.

Bart

35s are about as big as you'd want to go with the 30 and that is with a very light foot. 37s would be max on the 44 and that's with axle and u-joint upgrades. IMHO I wouldn't bother to swap a 44 for the HP30, and I've done it before.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I always figured if you are breaking D30 parts that the step to a D44 probobly won't help much.. be it driving style or tires or whatever bigger is better at that point.. if you are not breaking stuff let it be :)

Floydargue

New guy
I have one

If you are not having breakge issues, it probably is not worth it. The advantages of the front D44 (I have done this swap from a wagoneer and am driving on it now) are the bigger and stronger R&P allowing gear changes up to 5.38 instead of 4.88 with the D30, stronger axle tubes, and better knuckles (IMO).
That being said, A D30 that is built up can take some pretty heavy abuse. Even though the R&P is small and weaker, I hardly ever hear about it being a problem with breakage. When swapping to the LP D44 like I did, it creates the issues of fabbing everything together to work with coils, and increasing the front driveline angle. I still have not gotten the driveline issue worked out completely, and am still modifying things to clear control arms better, my steering is still a little loose due to geometry issues, and I have had the axle under there for over a year.:D I DO worry less about the frnt end when I am wheeling than I would with a D30, though. I think the general consensus among guys at Pirate and a few other boards is that strength-wise, a built D30 can be about 85-90% as good as a built wagoneer front D44. If I was starting all over, I would probably swap something bigger in the front than the D30 again, but I think I would look harder for high pinion options.

honda069

jeepin0_1
well I havent got the axels yet but I just found out that the front is a high pinion, im getting the matching set for 300 bucks, so with it being a hp44 would you do it

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
well I havent got the axels yet but I just found out that the front is a high pinion, im getting the matching set for 300 bucks, so with it being a hp44 would you do it

A HP44 is going to have a stronger ring/pinion than a standard D44. Are you busting D30 ring/pinions? What are you breaking? What are your reasons for wanting to upgrade?

Pretty similar question, IMHO.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=63471

Check out this thread?

Last edited:

Floydargue

New guy
With a HP44, I would do it. The extra beef doesn't hurt. Although, the U-joint is still the same size as the HP30, so there is no upgrade there. You may want to look into beefing that up. Although, I personally would not want bulletproof Ujoints like CTM's, as it is moving the weak link somewhere else.
I am running regular U-joints and stock wagoneer shafts on 35x13.50 Krawlers and have not had an issue, but I have been pretty easy on it.
I like the extra beef even if the U joints are the same, so i say go for it. Just don't try to beat the safari - you'll end up cutting corners to get it on the road and miss something. :)
The point still stands that most consider this a marginal upgrade. If you want to get as close as you can to a bulletproof streetable upgrade, you have to look at 60s.

Floydargue

New guy
BTW, do you have a selectable locker in the front? If it is spooled or anything, then you might REALLY break something in the driveway - it would be another good reason to go 44, as getting hubs on the 30 is pricey. But a selectable locker would also take care of that.
I had a friend that ran a locked D30 on 37s and beat the holy hell out of it. He broke shafts a few times, but didn't have any r&p issues that I know of. They are not to be underestimated.

Floydargue

New guy
Don't do a 60 just get a custom 9inch front end http://www.currieenterprises.com/CEStore/jeep9infrontends.aspx that is unless you are going bigger than 35s.. that D60 has a big pumpkin on it and will just be another low spot to make you want to go bigger..

anyhow do what you want you will anyhow :)

This is true - I was just talking about strength. A 60 would be a lot cheaper than a front currie, but more work. On the other hand, it is heavier with lower clearance. There is a trade off with everything.

Moon

$300 delivered turn key...you are never going to find a better set up than that. Then if you break something, which I doubt you will, then you can get cromoly shafts or what ever you need after you break something, then you will still be into it for less than what most people want for 60s. All the extra money and all the extra weight of 60's isn't worth it unless you are running 38+. You are going to love the 44s!

honda069

jeepin0_1
so he just delivered the axels and we find out that its a low pinion 44, about a 58 wms and the rear is a 8.25, should I keep them or sell them, I have a xj 44 rear, would the wagoneer 8.25 even be an up grade