xj question, wagoneer axels or not

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I didn't read that it was from a Waggy so i am not sure.. but if I remember right it is still C clip..

Brett

Meat-Hippy
What the hell is going on in this thread? What axles did you even get? Low pinion Dana 44 and a Chrysler 8.25? Those were never used together as far as I know.

honda069

jeepin0_1
I dont know, im just going off of what he said he pulled them out of, they are both about 58 wms to wms, so I guess im going to keep the xj 44 that I already have in and try and sell the others, I guess ill be better off runing the axels I have

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
he just said it was from a 82 or 84 he wasnt sure right then

'82 or '84 would likely be an FSJ, 6 lug axle? I doubt it's an 8.25, but could be a 20 or a Dana 44.

an '84 COULD be an XJ axle, but I know next to nothing about what an '84 XJ would have in it for an axle. Likely it wasn't anything worth anything or we'd probably know about it similar to how we know about '87 tow package XJs with D44.

Just out of curiosity, why are you buying something you can't identify? nevermind, don't answer that

Bart

The Jeep 8.25 didn't come out until around 95 and it has a 60" wms to wms and a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, so I'm pretty sure you don't have one. It's hard to sell something if you don't know what it is. You might want to take some pics and post them here. If you have an XJ 44 you already have one of the coveted axles. I don't see what you're trying to accomplish.

honda069

jeepin0_1
well I dont know what im trying to accomplish, I just wanted to have a 44 up front so I could run my bigger tires, not to mention he told me it was a hp 44 and wms of around 63 I was out of town when he droped off the axels, and I couldnt look at them since they were coming from idaho, I was just going off of his word, I wanted to keep my 44, but it is a 5 lug and the front 44 is a 6, I guess I could have found wheel spacers that converts it
how do you put pics on here anyways

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The Jeep 8.25 didn't come out until around 95 and it has a 60" wms to wms and a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, so I'm pretty sure you don't have one. It's hard to sell something if you don't know what it is. You might want to take some pics and post them here. If you have an XJ 44 you already have one of the coveted axles. I don't see what you're trying to accomplish.

Brent had an 8.25 in his '91. It was 27 spline rather than the newer version that's 29 spline (that supposedly started appearing about '95)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
as far as i know the 29 spline units came about in 97.

honestly if you don't know how to identify axles or swap them, just keep the 30. i swapped waggy 44s under my last xj buggy and they held up to my extreme abuse with 36s for a few years and then upper helldorado decided to make the pinion on the front end pop out (yeah it was weird). i am a big fan of the 44 over a 30, thats why i did it... but if you are just rocking 35s and you are not a total jackass you should be fine with the 30, just get extra shafts from the jy. its good you have the 44 rear though cause an 8.25 or 35 would be super-pissed about those tires. i am happy to join the xj44 gang as well, i got one for 88 bucks complete at the jy on saturday :cool:

honda069

jeepin0_1
I know what a 44 is, d30, d35, 8.25, but this axel is neither of those, ill put a pic on here but I need to know how to do it
you think my d30 will hold up to 35x15.50r15 swamper sx's

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Does that rear axle have a smooth round diff cover? It could be an AMC 20 if it came from a fullsize Jeep and is 6 lug. If so, it's an entirely decent axle, much better than the AMC 20's that came in CJ's.

N-Smooth

depends on if it has the two piece shafts or not... but i certainly wouldn't replace a 44 with it, especially when waggy rear 44s are so plentiful and cheap(if you want a 6lug to match the front)

i didn't notice that you were running 35x15.50s and being so wide(heavy) makes me a little bit more nervous about the dana30's life expectancy but it all depends on if the front axle will be locked and your driving style

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
yeah it does, how are they compared to the xj d44

Like Carl said, sounds like you got an amc 20. Not any better then a 44. They have a 8.75 ring gear, weak housing and tubes, 2 piece shafts usually. This thread is crazy, nobody knows what kind of axles they sold or bought:rolleyes:

N-Smooth

no im not locking the front, I dont drive to hard, my foot is pretty light, what if I just put different shafts in and trussed it

i wouldn't put any extra money into a d30 besides maybe getting junkyard shafts with 297/760 joints from a 95 or newer xj (some zj's) and then keep your original ones for spares... that is my gameplan for the time being. seeing trussed/chromo'd/ctm u-jointed/hub conversioned dana 30s just makes me giggle