XJ rear axle

xjc

I give up :(
XJ guys,

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a d35 and an 8.25. I am fairly sure that I have a D35 under my 96xj but I was told by one of the guys at rocky road that almost all 96's are 8.25's. I know there is someone out there who can tell me easily.

I'm locker shopin :)

Thanks

xjc

I give up :(
thanks guys

That is part of my problem, I have a rubber plug but I don't have a stop sign. Spence told me a long time back that the 8.25 looks like a stop sign so I don't think I have that one.

Given that criteria I am betting I have a d35,

Now another question, is that good or bad? how good of an axle is the 8.25 compared to a 35?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the super 35 kit is the only redeeming hope you have when you doa dana 35. I have seen them wheeled and I have seen them work just talk to blacksheep, he beats the snot out of his and it keeps coming back for more.

8.25 has a little bigger ring gear but that is about it. ohh and non c-clip!! I think?!?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by spencurai
the super 35 kit is the only redeeming hope you have when you doa dana 35. I have seen them wheeled and I have seen them work just talk to blacksheep, he beats the snot out of his and it keeps coming back for more.

8.25 has a little bigger ring gear but that is about it. ohh and non c-clip!! I think?!?

Spence,
kind words......likely to be my downfall. I think part of what helps me keep my axle intact is my auto tranny. That, and the fact that when I start spinning, I'm pretty likely to shut down. Sometimes, you have to spin, but when I start hopping, it definately gets shut down. So far, most of the obstacles I've tried, I've been able to complete without a lot of spin and or hopping (and I've done some tough obstacles).

downside of super 35 kit -- in the neighborhood of $800-$900 for a kit with a detroit. For that money, you might be better off talking to Herzog about how he modified a waggy D44 to fit his ride.

I'm happy with mine so far, but I am building a D44 (front and rear). Hopefully, I can keep the 35 together until the D44s get completed.

jd

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ford 8.8's with Disc brakes are pretty cool...still c-clip, but pretty beefy. I'd think they're at least good to 35" which is where I think the XJ chassis' limitations lie.

There's always the XJ D44 {they're easier to find than you think} in fact, if you set me up with a 8.8 with disk brakes, 4.56 and an ARB I'll trade you straight across for my XJ D44 with ARB and 4.11.....

Originally posted by mbryson
Ford 8.8's with Disc brakes are pretty cool...still c-clip, but pretty beefy. I'd think they're at least good to 35" which is where I think the XJ chassis' limitations lie.

There's always the XJ D44 {they're easier to find than you think} in fact, if you set me up with a 8.8 with disk brakes, 4.56 and an ARB I'll trade you straight across for my XJ D44 with ARB and 4.11.....

Shiat, I bet you would.:D :D

Dana 35s are shaped like an oval and have really small axle tubes. The best way to tell if you can't by the shape is to crawl up under your rig and read the casting next to the diff cover. It will have a number stamped on the casting that will read "35C".
More than likely, you've got the Chrysler 8.25 rear with 27 spline shafts. In '97, the year of the new body style, XJs were then upgraded to 29 spline 8.25s.

Look for an 8.8 out of a '95 or newer Ford Exploder or Mountaineer. These come stock with 31 spline shafts, disc brakes, 4.10s and some have Trac-Lok. These axles are a tad bit stronger than a standard D44, but as mentioned, the shafts are still retained by c-clips. However, if you were to blow the clip or break a shaft, the calipers will retain them. They are not a direct bolt up though, you'll need to weld on some new spring perches and shock mounts, but no biggie. Also, these are around 59.5" wms, so you may want to add a spacer.

HTH.

Last edited: