XJ starting issue

metalry101

R/C addict
Alright...so I go out to start my Jeep up tonight and it wouldn't start. It cranked like normal...just wouldn't fire. It ran fine this morning. Nothing's happened since that I'm aware of. I know it only needs 3 things to run, and I know I have gas so I check the ignition system and I'm not getting spark. Anyways...no spark, dunno if the injectors were spraying or not, but eventually it fired. My dad and I played with a bunch of wires and connectors and that's when it fired. Any ideas? It's an '88 w/ the 4.0 and the Peugeot. I know the CPS is a ridiculously common thing, and from what I remember reading, the symptoms were pointing to that. I played with the wires down in the transmission tunnel, and I pulled an electrical connector off the side of the transmission, saw that it looked perfectly fine, and put it back. I've included a pic of the plug I pulled...is that the CPS by any chance? I was under the impression that the sensor should be up by the flywheel...but maybe it's different on the stupid French tranny? We were playing with every wire and connector we could see, so I don't know if that one had anything to do with it or not. Any ideas on what could have caused the thing to act like it did?

I'm also attaching some pics of a vacuum line that we discovered as being disconnected. Apparently it goes to some sort of valve on my exhaust manifold which I've made a little red circle around. What is that? When we connect it, the Jeep runs like crap, barely holding an idle. Disconnected it runs nice and smooth. Also, when we plugged it in, a small amount of smoke started to come out of the valve...maybe it's just exhaust leaking? We couldn't tell...but it was definitely coming from that valve, and only when that vacuum line was connected. I'm curious as to what that thing is...anyone know?

jeeptrans.jpg

enginebay2.jpg

enginebay3.jpg