XJ Steering recommendations?

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I have a 92 XJ that needs steering mods.
I have been told that 95ish ZJ 2WD knuckles are a high steer setup and will bolt on. I would use DOM and Heims for the tierod and drag link.
Does anyone have experience with this? Would I be better off with another setup?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I looked into the WJ knuckle swap and it seemed like it made sense until I started pricing things out. I stuck to the stock system (@ 6" lift) and bought a BEEFY tie rod from Go-Fer-It offroad (out of North or South Carolina) and just lived with the TJ draglink (that's stronger than some XJ parts and the exact same as others). I bent the draglink a few times, but for what the XJ steering box is mounted too, I'd rather deal with the bent drag link vs. the steering box torn away from the 'frame'.

If I built another XJ, I'd do the same thing.

Oh, and that defys 'normal' XJ build parameters. You're supposed to brace the steering box to the 'frame', reinforce it and build a high-steer setup with WJ, Tera or ??? steering parts (all the while spending at least $1000-1500 or so on an already marginal axle). Just live with the XJ's limitations and have a good time with it. 33" tires on an XJ will do a LOT of trails and will be pretty reliable (with the possible exception of the rear axle).

Badger

I am the Brute squad
the other option is to go with a V8 ZJ steering components which are beefier then stock Xj,Tj stuff.just the draglink and tierod.I have never heard of anything with a 2WD ZJ knuckle being used.

now as MBryson has pointed out you can do the WJ knuckle swap.its a bit intensive and not exactly cheap.as he has also mentioned to do anything up front you are looking from 600 to 1200.to spend that on a dana 30 is just a waste of time.

there are other options such as kits like

U-Turn from ORO

MORE has something in the works/it has been in the works now for some 2 years so chances are you could possible get one out of them.

Down East Offroad basically sells all the parts needed to do the WJ knuckle swap.the only difference being it would re use your stock brakes instead of using the bigger brakes of the WJ

BTF seems to have something i have never seen it or heard of this one till now.but it looks to be a bolt on mount that replicates what you would get with the TeraFlex knuckle.

there are plenty of kits out there if you just look.you will have to remember that with any changes made to the steering will result in having to change the track bar above axle to match the new steering geometry or you will get mad bump steer.

I run a brace that clamps on the bottom of the steering box and runs to the oppisite side of unibody. Got it from rustys offroad, worth the cash. JKS also offers a weld on brace system for the steering box that consists of a plate on either side of the unibody and ties it together with collars. Works well-downside is that it has to be welded on. Other than that get yourself a stout tie rod and go play.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
that rustys brace is a waste of cash.they use the lamest thinest material they could come up with.

you can make the same brace at home for less the 30 bucks

that rustys brace is a waste of cash.they use the lamest thinest material they could come up with.

you can make the same brace at home for less the 30 bucks

Too bad you didn't come up with the idea and market it huh. The rustys brace does what it was intended to. Now if i can run 35's and not worry about my box ripping off my frame, its worth the cash to me when I didn't have the time to make it.

I'm a few hundred bucks into a steering setup you would be hard pressed to destroy

By the way what steering setup do you run?

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
there are more manufactures then just Rustys and JKS that make box braces.the real trick is to use reinforcement plates on both sides of the frame rail as well as anti-crush inserts.

what does it matter what i run . i know what i'm talking about .i've run the gambit of parts and crap on my vehicle and pretty much destroyed them all.

the last setup i was running on my xj was the beef.i could have jack up my Xj off of it.

all custom hydro assist made with all DOM and hiems

PB100007.sized.jpg

PB100008.sized.jpg

oh and i run fullwidths 36's and never run a steering brace.never had an issue and the box never moved

Settle down, I was just curious what setup you are using. your right there are a ton of options out there. Thats why I was asking. The jks setup i mentioned earlier is a plate on either side of the frame with fat collars to tie them together so they don't just crush. the box brace is just cheap insurance. Agree?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
no need to settle down .i'm not bothered .its cheap insurance yes but i don't believe they are needed when you use box plates on the outside and inside of the framerail.

you can make the box plates for a few bucks with a pdf print out of the plate and they make all the difference.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I ripped the steering box off twice in my ZJ. But being that I was 4 times harder on it than most people, I feel ok about it's performance. Actually, the steeringbox itself broke--broke 2 of the ears off. Both times for the same reason---the bolts had worked themselves a little loose allowing for some play between the box and frame. If they had stayed tight, I never would have broken the steering box--on true 37's, locked with a v8 moving them. So it's basically my neglect that caused it. Big surprise.

Some people run the j20 boxes because they are a little stronger and have 4 mounting holes vs. the 3 for ZJ's and XJ's. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with that.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Just because your steering box never ripped off the frame, or attempted to doesn't mean that bracing the area is a bad idea. It is cheap insurance.

On my old XJ, I never had a problem with mine either... but there is always that possibility where some bracing could have helped.