XJ won't start sometimes

4thefamily

When my XJ does start it runs ok, but lately I will go out and try and start it and it is a guessing game on if it will start or not. It acts like it is not getting any fuel. Is this a Fuel pump, plugged filter? Has anyone had a similar problem. It is a 1990 XJ Limited.

Thanks for your help:confused:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
My 1990 Cherokee that I had last had all sorts of problems with starting. If I remember right, part of it was that it wasn't getting enough power to fire it, the fuel pump was going out and that the fuel gauge would lie and say it had a LOT more gas than it actually did. You might want to just check around, maybe do a tune up and such. Check your coil too, it might be on it's way to the bone yard.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by 4thefamily
:confused:

Thanks for the reply but I am mechanically impaired, what do you mean by the tps and the cps and where are they located. sorry for being so duh.

what that means is you need to take it to a mechanic.....if you don't know what a tps or cps is, and you are mechanically deficient, you probably shouldn't try to fix it yourself....they are throttle position and crank position sensors by the way....they go out and your computer goes lame and doesn't want to start...