Yellow stone blowing up

blznnp

Anyone heard about this? I know it's a major one when it goes, my wife just read a article stating some facts about it. The floor has raised 3" in the last couple years an certain gases have been detected. Signs that other volcanoes had before they erupted. Now the wife is stressed cause the article said that people within 500 miles would die, or in serious danger. She hates reading stuff like that

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
they said that the h4 (helium 4) gases are 1000 times what they normally are... I read the same article. THey said that if this blows that the whole united states would be covered in ash and it would cause a winter like the one that killed the dinosaurs... so being within 500 miles and being killed instantly might be a good thing...

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
The earth could use a little natural crowd control...But I still hope I'm on the other side of the world if it decides to blow.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
they said that the h4 (helium 4) gases are 1000 times what they normally are... I read the same article. THey said that if this blows that the whole united states would be covered in ash and it would cause a winter like the one that killed the dinosaurs... so being within 500 miles and being killed instantly might be a good thing...

If that goes, I'm fine with being gone in the initial blast. That's going to be a serious mess. Not worth stressing about something you can't control ANYTHING about.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I tend to not worry about things I cannot control or prepare for although I've been thinking about that snorkel a lot lately...

blznnp

Snorkel and lava proof tires, gonna have to go to discount tomorrow for the tires and then stop by cruiser outfitters to find a scoop I can adapt to my f350.

It was some site that I guess jumps to conclusions, preppersworldusa, I know it has been a threat for a while, just wondering if anyone has heard this. I guess some geologist website says that the same thing happened years ago but not with the same gas levels an that it is labeled as a green light right now, not much threat. I would hate to see what would happen if it did go, so maybe like you say gijohn, might be better to be closer.

I guess thats that's a good way to look at it Brian.

ZUKEYPR

Snorkel -Check - note to self, send off to http://www.jet-hot.com/ for lava rated coating
Lava Proof tires -Uncheck - note to self trade in non lava proof tires for http://www.americantracktruck.com/
Things to do list:
1. Load trailer up with air filters, HVAC Filters, Gasoline, MREs, M17 Masks x3, make that 6 with three modified for Huskies, not sure though how well they'll take that news.

Second thought opt for the Huskies and the sled, the ash will be so thick and deep the sled will glide over it much easier.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Ive seen a few documentarys on this. Wonder if it would help trigger our BIG-ONE ???

Hope Mexico is ready for us .:D

Last edited:

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
It's expanding because that's where the govt is storing all their hot air... :spork:

That's to funny!!! When I was getting my degree in geology we would talk about this a lot. It has been going up and down for years. This latest is more gaseous now then in the past. This fact raises some red flags but, with a super volcano of this size there is only one thing to do if it blows. Bend over really far, put your head between your knees, and kiss your but goodbye. The amount of debris that it would put into our atmosphere would change the climate so drastically that there would be a mass extinction event.
My view is "don't sweet the things you can do nothing about".

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Can anyone link to the article?

I saw dante's peak, so I am considered an expert in volcanic emergency operations.
If I need any further training I can watch a youtube video..

roverrocks

What to worry myself to death about most: toe jam, underarm algae, breaking a fingernail, volcanic global mass extinction.................hmmmmmmmmmmmm............Breaking a fingernail wins big time as I always snag something with it or scratch my nose and bleed. Think I'll just take a couple of aspirin and hide in a dark closet until by fingernail breaking fears and horrors pass on. Not gonna loose any sleep, teeth, or what little hair I have left worrying into a tizzy about volcanic global mass extinctions. As long as one takes all the mosquitoes, ticks, New York Yankees, and house flies with the BIG BOOM BOOM then it might not be so bad. Don't worry, be happy!!

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
In grown toenails are the worst especially in ski boots. That, and guys my daughters age are what keep me up at night and going bald.

blznnp

Can anyone link to the article?
this is the one that my wife was reading.... Yellow Stone...I agree that if something like this were to happen, nothing we can do, my wife on the other had gets stressed out about this type of stuff, from a crazy people website or a good reputable site.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That's to funny!!! When I was getting my degree in geology we would talk about this a lot. It has been going up and down for years. This latest is more gaseous now then in the past. This fact raises some red flags but, with a super volcano of this size there is only one thing to do if it blows. Bend over really far, put your head between your knees, and kiss your but goodbye. The amount of debris that it would put into our atmosphere would change the climate so drastically that there would be a mass extinction event.
My view is "don't sweet the things you can do nothing about".

Local or global extinction event? I was wondering if this one was big enough to cause a global extinction event. Volcanoes have been responsible for a lot of extinction events worldwide, and this one would be know different I guess. It just doesn't seem like it compares in size to, say, the siberian traps. They went off around the permian time. We all see where that got us :).

I have read a lot of articles stating that the most likely mass extinction is a celestial impact. That would be an awesome way to go. As long as you were in the immediate area of impact.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Local or global extinction event? I was wondering if this one was big enough to cause a global extinction event. Volcanoes have been responsible for a lot of extinction events worldwide, and this one would be know different I guess. It just doesn't seem like it compares in size to, say, the siberian traps. They went off around the permian time. We all see where that got us :).

I have read a lot of articles stating that the most likely mass extinction is a celestial impact. That would be an awesome way to go. As long as you were in the immediate area of impact.

The Creation Museum disagrees with you. Dinosaurs and man lived, and loved together! :D

skeptic

It's a "zombie apocalypse" prepper favorite. There is a pretty good chance it will eventually blow, but nobody really knows if it's going to be tomorrow or 500,000 years from now.

Nobody really knows what would happen, it's all speculation. My best guess in simple terms if the "big one" blew, if you are not initially killed you'd probably need to hunker down for a few days to a week minimum, then make your way out of the area. Can't stay because the thick ash would kill everything, pollute the water, no services, etc. Getting out would be tough though, driving through thick ash would be hell on vehicles and lungs alike. Probably the most important fact, scientists say the chance of a huge eruption is less than 1 in 10,000 in our lifetimes.