Yes or no

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Good advice, also great pics of your bronco!!! I've wheeled both old and new and both have advantages. The type of wheeling I do is more mellow so a new rig would handle everything I throw at it. That being said if I do buy a new Jeep I will start almost immediately looking for an offroad only rig, something like your Bronco that I can "buggy" out so i won't have to worry if it gets hurt or not.

Medsker

Vonski

nothing to see here...
thenag said:
I also see a lot of people suggesting the d44 rear. I just moved to salt lake from Abq NM. and a lot of the jeep guys down there were installing ford 8.8's out of explorers. the 8.8 is stronger than a d44, there are just as many gears/lockers for it and i think 93+ got factory disk brakes.

8.8's are NOT a better (or more cost effective) alternative to a D44 or Toyota 8" axle for your application.

Don't let the factory disc brakes on the 8.8's sway your decision either. The D44 or Toyota 8" can be converted to discs without much trouble (even though the drums are large enough to be adequate in most applications).

My apologies if I've offended any 8.8 fans, but replacing one C-clip axle for another doesn't make sense. It's stronger than a D35, but that doesn't make it "right".

Medsker

Ah come on Von, tell us how you really feel :D. I've already gone down the 8.8 road and decided against that. If I replace the rear axle it will be with a toyota axle.

Medsker

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Vonski said:
8.8's are NOT a better (or more cost effective) alternative to a D44 or Toyota 8" axle for your application.

Don't let the factory disc brakes on the 8.8's sway your decision either. The D44 or Toyota 8" can be converted to discs without much trouble (even though the drums are large enough to be adequate in most applications).

My apologies if I've offended any 8.8 fans, but replacing one C-clip axle for another doesn't make sense. It's stronger than a D35, but that doesn't make it "right".
I'm glad somebody else feels that way too. C-clips should be banned. :D

Medsker

Now, now c-clips are just fine as long as your axle doesn't break. :) Well I should say rarely do you hear of c-clips being the culprit.

thenag

yeah i have a full floater, and broncos break 8.8's like twigs.

i didn't say that the 8.8 was better, i said that it is stronger than a d44. I also don't know jeep stuff I just know what I saw a lot of people doing in Abq.

I thought the d44 was still a c-clip, at least the stock front bronco d44 is.

nathan
-no cool sig

jfonze

Eather way you'll probobly end up with a very capable rig. But as far as waiting goes: If you have seen the gladiator concept than you have pretty much seen the new wrangler. Not a truck of course but what you'll have is the same basic front end look. It is going to be 6" wider over all, the 2 door model will have a wheel base around 100" (should be about the same as the unlimited). True the gas tank is being moved from the back but only due to government requirments. And as far as it looking like a hummer? PLEASE! Now thats just silly talk!. The 4 door model may in some way look like a H3 but its probobly truer to say the H3 looks more like a jeep concept I.E. the Rescue and the Dakkar. But seeing as you had no lift and cut out fenders you might like the fact that you'll be able to fit 33" tires bone stock with no trimming what so ever. Imagine that throw a 4" lift on one of those bad boy's and your running 37's... Thats why you might wont to wait but no matter what, you'll end up with a capible rig.

edit: You cant trust JP mag. all the information printed in there is a minimum of 3 months old. 10" longer wheel base (which will be more like 12) than the unlimited will be for the 4door model the TKL. And as far as engines go, a HEMI might be cool but in my opinion what is going to be even cooler is the CRD motor that will be an option. If your wondering were I get my information... well, I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
jfonze said:
E............ It is going to be 6" wider over all, the 2 door model will have a wheel base around 100" (should be about the same as the unlimited). True the gas tank is being moved from the back but only due to government requirments...........

That's gay if Jeep does it. 6" is a LOT......WTF?

jfonze

I quess its a bit more than the current stock set up but if you break it down its really only about 3" on each side. If your a car manufacture that is makeing an suv, and your planning on increasing the minimum tire size from 27" to 31", and planing to offer a tire size of up to 32-33" in certain pacages you are going to wont to increase the track width. Especially in this day and age when suv's have come under so much fire for being "role over prone".

It personally doesn't bother me a bit. My TJ right now is running 35's and has a track with that is atleast 6" wider than stock... probobly more like 8"....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
jfonze said:
I quess its a bit more than the current stock set up but if you break it down its really only about 3" on each side. If your a car manufacture that is makeing an suv, and your planning on increasing the minimum tire size from 27" to 31", and planing to offer a tire size of up to 32-33" in certain pacages you are going to wont to increase the track width. Especially in this day and age when suv's have come under so much fire for being "role over prone".

It personally doesn't bother me a bit. My TJ right now is running 35's and has a track with that is atleast 6" wider than stock... probobly more like 8"....

I still like the small dimensions of the TJ/YJ/CJ and think it's a HUGE mistake to change it that much. Then again, Jeep hasn't really been releasing vehicles for me to buy the last few redesigns/releases and I don't see anything coming I want to buy, either. Why screw with a cash/image vehicle for the whole brand?

Now if you put the same tires/wheels on your 'new improved' '07 Wrangler or whatever, you'll be as wide as a full-size. That's good for trails and trailers and whatever else..... What's with this 'mid-size' fascination for the Wrangler? (don't answer that) Next thing you know, it'll have IFS/IRS and be the 'most capable vehicle to turn into a parking space award' and get some gay award from Motor Trend or Car and Driver......

{note to Jeep, keep the Wrangler similar to it's original design, simple-capable-easy to modify(cheap) and build the RESCUE with a Cummins if that's what you're wanting {oh look, that's wider, capable and simple}}

Medsker

I agree if they want something bigger than build it but keep the wrangler. They already have the cammander now that is bigger.

jfonze

mbryson said:
Now if you put the same tires/wheels on your 'new improved' '07 Wrangler or whatever, you'll be as wide as a full-size. That's good for trails and trailers and whatever else..... What's with this 'mid-size' fascination for the Wrangler? (don't answer that) Next thing you know, it'll have IFS/IRS and be the 'most capable vehicle to turn into a parking space award' and get some gay award from Motor Trend or Car and Driver......

True, if you put the same tires and wheels on it wouldn't look so hot or be so hot but thats mainly due to the offset of the wheel. Though unfortunetly for '07 it looks like the wheel size is going from 15 to 16" so to run anything bigger than 35's your going to have to go with a 17" wheel which definetly isn't going to be as budget friendly as 15" wheels would. but all in all, if you mind the offset of the wheel it just save's you from having to buy wider fender flares. It's not a must to get wider ofset wheels when going aftermarket.
Now, IFS/IRS would be an absolute travisty but I dont think jeep is that stupid. well, atleast were safe from that for another 10 years or so.

www.rockcrawler.com has some spy photos posted on there sight. the link is on the left side of the page and has a picture that says TK spied. I would through in a direct link but there sight is funny.