yj 2.5 tranny upgrage

4x4phil

If you have a 92 yj 4cyl, and you want to upgrade the transmission what options do you have? The 4 cyl is built with a turbo. The ax5 just won't hold up to it. I need just a little more strength and don't really wanna go crazy with it. I can't find an adapter to mate it to a ax15. I'd like to stay as bolt in as possible for relyability. The best I've been able to come up with is a 700r4 out of an s-10 blazer with the 60 degree housing. But I have no idea what year I can find one in, and I'd really rather stay manual. So aside from dropping 2000$ on a new 2.5 six speed what would you suggest? Or if I have to what year s-10 can I find the 700r4 with the correct housing?

tfritz

I have done what you want to do. So if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I used an NV3550 because I may be doing a SBC in the future or a diesel swap. If your going to be sticking with the 2.5 I would get a good used ax-15 they are way cheaper. Most of the NV3550's out there are new. If you want to do it as a kit you can talk to Greg over at High Impact: http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/automatic_transmission.htm

It is not the cheapest solution but it is complete. The Pirate thread has all of the info you need to DIY. http://www.car-parts.com is a good way to find the parts you will need. Good luck.

BTW I would plan on pushing your engine forward 2" because the ax-15 is 2" longer than the ax-5. The reason I say this is if you do an axle swap in the rear even with a SYE your drive line will be way short. If you not lifted to much it's not a problem.

Last edited:

CJJ92yj

Tell us more about the Turbo 2.5L! I will be needing a new engine in a while, and want to keep the 4 cyl, but want a bit more power. I have a good write-up about a strong engine build using performance parts, but am definitely interested in your project.

Chad

tfritz

CJJ92yj said:
Tell us more about the Turbo 2.5L! I will be needing a new engine in a while, and want to keep the 4 cyl, but want a bit more power. I have a good write-up about a strong engine build using performance parts, but am definitely interested in your project.

Chad

Have you looked at a super charger? I'm running an Avenger SC on my 2.5l. I love the it. It's a great way to save weight and I get very good mileage. They are abit pricey. Most people I talk to would rather do a swap for what they cost. But If you want to stay with your 4 banger a Turbo or SC is the way to go.

4x4phil

I'm exited to see this post resurrected. If you'll notice I posted the question 3 months ago. Nice find on that site drew! The turbo jeep is owned by my friend Jason. He has a t-3 out of a turbocoupe (these have an internal wastegate). He along with BigBadBurb have a shop with an exhaust bender. They bent a pipe to go to the other side of the motor and welded it to the turbo flange, and ran the downpipe into the stock exhaust...very simple. Then ran the tubing into the intake with the bov installed into the tubing. Turbonetics has all the parts you need for the whole application. Installed an fmu, kept the stock injectors, and mounted up a timing retard. He has about 30.000 miles on the turbo now and it pushes around 8 psi. It's pretty strong, but still not quite what a 4.0 would be. The bonus about a turbo is that it doesn't drain power from your low end. Jason's turbo was straight from the j-yard. He just made sure the shaft had very little endplay and that there was no oil buildup in the compressor side. Talk about a low budget power upgrade.

CJJ92yj

Yeah, it does sound like you got her done for pretty cheap. I'll have to start looking into all my options when I get a little closer to being able to finance it all.

4x4phil

Yea, I mean there is a little more to it than that, but if you're interested in having somebody do it for you that already has the experience send a pm to bigbadburb and he'd be glad to do the kit at his shop. They're also in the works for a kit that'll fit any 4.0 in any jeep. Should be cool to see finished.