YJ axle options?

UtahFire

I need some advise please.

A friend gave me a D35 with an ARB, 4:56, and a Warn full float kit. Six states says everything looks good in it. I want to upgrade from a stock D35 in a 1990 YJ.

Should I install the D35 at a cost of about $460?

Should I look for a Ford 8.8?

Should I look for a D44?

Will a Chrysler 8.25 work in a YJ?

STAG

On my grind
Best bet would be a D44 or the Ford 8.8. No use in polishing the turd D35 with candy. And a Chrys. 8.25 would work but the D44 and 8.8 are much better options.

UtahFire

why 460 to put in the 35?
is it to match up the gears?

Whoever installed the ARB didnt grind the pinion down so it rubs on the ARB housing. The $460 is for Six States to grind the pinion and install new bearings.

Right now Im running 4:10s. The D35 has 4:56 so I would have to pay to regear the front.

I get the feeling finding a D44 is not easy. 8.8s seem to be a bit easier to find. 8.25s are all over the place for cheap. Where is the best place to look for these axles?

Is the D35, ARB and Warn full float kit worth anything?

STAG

On my grind
Whoever installed the ARB didnt grind the pinion down so it rubs on the ARB housing. The $460 is for Six States to grind the pinion and install new bearings.
I think you mean the ring...???

I get the feeling finding a D44 is not easy. 8.8s seem to be a bit easier to find. 8.25s are all over the place for cheap. Where is the best place to look for these axles?

Junkyards & KSL are your best bet. Look for an 87-89 XJ for the elusive D44, (also I am not exactly sure on the years that the YJ came with a D44, but I do know that some came factory with them, but will be harder to find) often times you can buy a beat up XJ on ksl, yank the D44, and put in your D35 and then resell the XJ...

Yeah for sure, that is a decent upgrade for someone, capable of 33~35" tires depending on how hard they wheel.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

Right now Im running 4:10s. The D35 has 4:56 so I would have to pay to regear the front.

I don't know that I would pay 460 to install a 35. it isn't a bad price though. when you consider gear swap for the front too it might really not be worth it. You can find an 8.8 with 4.10 gears already then you would save quite a bit of money. Of course, you wouldn't have gears or a locker. I would think you could find a locked 35 for the price you would pay 6 states. it's a though call. I have had all of the axles you are looking at under my rigs. the only one I broke was the 35. i broke it with 33 inch tires and no locker. You could always buy my front 30 with ARB and 4.88s and regear the rear instead:D. good luck

STAG

On my grind
Also, fwiw, (not trying to take away SixStates customers but,) you might want to check around for better prices on gear installing and such. PM Von@BenHanksRacing on here or even try other places like LowRangeOffroad in Provo.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
If you got it for free I would say call around and get some prices and run it.. if you have a 35 anyhow it is still an upgrade.. you may be able to find someone to pop it open grind it and put it back together for less that 460$.. give rad jeeper a call and see what he can do for you.. worst that can happen is it will break and give you a reason to go bigger HEHEHE :)

UtahFire

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to put the ARB in my current D35 and try to sell the Warn full float kit. I'm going to keep looking for a D44 or Ford 8.8. I don't do the hard core trails so I'm in no hurry.