YJ Bump Stops

elk6x6

YJ Spring Over Bump Stops

We just finished the spring over on my sons yj and are trying to decide where to set the bump stops at. He is still in the process of deciding between 33 or 35 inch tires. Those of you who are running spring over what length have you found works best for up travel. I was thinking 4 or 5 inches, but if somebody has already figured it out I would rather do it one time and be done. We still need to buy shocks, is 11.5 inch travel enough or would you go 14. Thanks

Last edited:

larrybenny

larrybenny
Its going to Depend on the spring lift. My leafs were 2 1/2 in. I first tested the compression lifting the vehicle at full tilt with a fork lift, or you can simply go somewhere like 5 mile on rattle snake and check how much articulation you actually have (the woop de do's at rattle snake were perfect for testing. I found I didn't need any bumpstops on the rear at all, as at compression nothing was touching. On the front, I positioned a bump stop on the right front as the lower crank pully was hitting the track bar at full compression. I used the existing shocks on the front and rear, but had to make and weld the lower shock brackets on the axle tubes. The existing shock brackets were all bent to hell anyway.