YJ Hard Top Wiring

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Hi Everyone....

Well... Driving around in this snow has been interesting... Especially when you look out your back window and your wiper won't work... So then you try your defroster and that also doesn't work... Well isn't that just great?

Here's my setup, maybe you can help me.

I have 3 buttons next to each other each having their own wiring kit. The first one is my fog lamp switch which I have set up for my Hella 500's. I have that wired so my Hella's will only go on with my headlight high beams. It can be toggled on or off.

2nd button is the defroster. It is a push in button that pops back into it's original position. Has an orange light to let me know that the defroster is on and the light goes off when it turns itself off... The orange light still goes on... But defroster no workie!

3rd button is the wiper and fluid shooter button. It is a button that moves up or down like the fog lamp switch. Leaving it in the up position makes the wiper move... No workie... Push it up again (like the defroster) holding it in place will squirt out the washer fluid onto the back window. Letting go will pop it back into the up position. The fluid works but the wiper doesn't.

Anyone figure if it is a problem with the wiring in the dash or on the hardtop or anywhere between?

At first I thought it was my wiper motor, but I hadn't had any way to test out the defroster, now that I've had a chance to see if Ice and snow will melt off the back, it won't... But it did last year.

I can't see any split wires or anything, the quick disconnect which plugs into the back of the hardtop looks like it's in good condition, no problems with that either.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Sounds like either a fuse or a bad connection. Get a service manual and it will tell how to see if your defroster has a short in it. I think you take a voltmeter and stick the red on one side and the black on the other side of the back glass and see if it beeps if not you have a break. Leave the red side on the main strip and then slowly pass the black over every one of those frigging lines untill you find the break. As for the wiper I have no idea.