yj harness?

ive got a angine harness from a 94 wrangler with the 4.0 and a body harness from a 89 wrangler.any idea if the body harness for the 4.2 will work with the 4.0 wiring harness from the engine?

oldschoolyj

Yes they are pretty much the same. The instruments are different and the little section above the steering wheel with the blinker lights are different. Aparts in S.L.C. have 5 or 6 Yjs that you could match the proper speedo, tech and then everything would work. I took the fuse block as well. The older to newer are different. When I did my swap I pulled everywire in the Jeep out and replaced it with the newer harness. Its been a couple of years but that is what I remember from it.

STAG

On my grind
If I read correctly, then I don't think it will. 4.2's are carburated and 4.0's are fuel injected. So I'm pretty sure that the 4.0 has lots more wires and stuff that would need to get plugged in, but, I've never done it. So I'm not sure.

I'm currently putting a 1993 4.0 engine and AW4 transmission in my '89 wrangler and am just taking the entire wiring harness from an 1993 XJ so I know everything will work.

oldschoolyj

You are correct this is a great way to rewire if you are swapping a 4.0 into a 4.2. All of the turn lights, head lights, etc will plug into the newer harness

utah340six

ok when i went from a 93 yj 6 cylinder in to a 95 4 cylinder jeep could not get it to start just trading out the under hood wiring.
had to install all the 93 wiring under the dash also.
would crank before but would not fire , so some thing has changed.

Last edited: