Yj Question

redrock

i have a 88 yj i bought a new gas tank and came wrong one. i was wondering does any one have a yj with a 20 gallon gas tank thats what i thinks in mine but not sure because i haven't put gas in for so long. if you do never put a hole in it they cost 345.00 new

Brett

Meat-Hippy
If you still need a tank, we just took the one in my friends 95 YJ out so we can install a cell. If you're interested, it's a 22 gallon I think. Has the skid plate on it still. The only problem is that he cut the electrical wires pretty damn short.

Lemme know and I will ask him if wants to sell it or give it away.

Brett

redrock

Originally posted by RedRockXJ
If you still need a tank, we just took the one in my friends 95 YJ out so we can install a cell. If you're interested, it's a 22 gallon I think. Has the skid plate on it still. The only problem is that he cut the electrical wires pretty damn short.

Lemme know and I will ask him if wants to sell it or give it away.

Brett
yeah let me know i all ready bought it but don't think it would be to hard to take it back

redrock

you know what kills me id that a 15 gallon tank is 150 dollars i was going that route but the sending units are differant then i would need the strap kit so by the time i bought all that i was looking at few dollars short of a new tank.

i asked them, for the price of the 20 gallon is it crome or gold

Caleb

Stock YJ tanks are all the same size...some have the vent tube down farther into the tank so it will stop the gas pump at about 15 gallons...the sending units are different but the only difference is that you will say full for a long time with the 15 gal sending unit in the 20 gal tank...If you can find a stock 15 gal tank from a junk yard then you can swap that in...just giving you more options...

redrock

Originally posted by supergper
Stock YJ tanks are all the same size...some have the vent tube down farther into the tank so it will stop the gas pump at about 15 gallons...the sending units are different but the only difference is that you will say full for a long time with the 15 gal sending unit in the 20 gal tank...If you can find a stock 15 gal tank from a junk yard then you can swap that in...just giving you more options...
in the 15 gallon tank i ordered first had a round hole for the sending unit and in my tank it was rectangle that was the only problem i had

whats bad about that is the sending unit was 100 bucks

redrock

Originally posted by sukaB
I have both tanks here complete.....
neither gold though...
how much? and does it have straps and skid to? my new one comes at noon and i will go see if it will work might just sent it back

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Originally posted by redrock
i have a 88 yj i bought a new gas tank and came wrong one. i was wondering does any one have a yj with a 20 gallon gas tank thats what i thinks in mine but not sure because i haven't put gas in for so long. if you do never put a hole in it they cost 345.00 new

Oh I remember the good ol days. I'm drivin down 123rd last year and some lady in a stock TJ (summer-time no top or doors on either of our jeeps) yells at me "You're leaking all over the place!" So I pulled over, thought the smell was coming from the diesel in front of me, but yep, my gas is leaking like crazy out of my YJ (which is a 20 gallon tank with the inline 6, or a 15 gallon tank with the 4 popper.) Come to find out it wasn't the tank, thank you very much, just one of the fuel lines you've got one going to the engine, one coming back, and I believe a 3rd for vents. So I run out as much gas as possible, pull of the skidplate and the straps drop it down, find the fuel lines, then find out you need to pull the body off the frame to replace them!!! So I just said **** it! Towed it down to Clegg's in Orem and had them fix everything for $200 including the parts. Pretty good price.

sukaB

Banned
Body off the frame eehh....You must have a 96 YJ....
200 hundy
Did they put it on a frame straightener too..?

I just replaced a fuel pump and re-wired a burned up pump harness for 150 on thursday just before the races....
Damn I'm to nice..

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by tweakeyjeep
(which is a 20 gallon tank with the inline 6, or a 15 gallon tank with the 4 popper.)

Not always, my 4 popper has a 20 gallon on it from the factory.

Caleb

Originally posted by pokeyYJ

Not always, my 4 popper has a 20 gallon on it from the factory.

from what I have seen there is no such thing as a 15 gal fuel tank in YJs...they are all the same size...mine WAS a 15 gal tank to start out with...I chopped the vent tube and it was then a 21 gal tank...I know TJs are different...FWIW