YJ springs on a CJ

OB1

This summer I bought an 81 CJ5 that has a Chevy 350. I'm just now taking a closer look at it and deciding what I may want to do. I had heard about an easy swap of putting YJ springs on a CJ and how it gave a better ride. From what I understand the stock CJ springs are 2" wide and the YJ are 2.5". I got to looking at mine and found that the back already had 2.5" leaf springs and the front are 2". Did someone already swap out the back springs? And can anyone suggest a good lift that will give me about 2 to 3 inches over stock. I'm not looking to go crazy on this jeep. I just want something for wheeling around the mountains while hunting. Also the 4 speed is in need of repair so I was thinking of going with a TH350. I'll get a hold of Novak for the adapters when I'm ready for the tranny. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Cj's have 2.5" wide rear springs stock and 2" in the front.

The YJ springs will work fine. You just need a extra spacer on the frame side of YJ shackles.

I am running YJ spring on my cj. Works pretty good. More options.

On your tranny swap, double check to make sure you have drive train room in terms of length. Where they did the motor mounts are on that 350 will determine yes or no. Cj-5s are short. ;-).