YJ Springs under a CJ-5

chadr

Right now with my 63 CJ-5 project, I will have to relocate my front spring perches outside of the frame to fit the Dana 44's that I have aquired. The stock springs that come with a CJ-5 are really narrow. They are only 1.75 inches wide. I would like to get a bit more flex and stability on at least the front end and I am considering purchasing some YJ leaf springs and installing them in place of my existing lift kit.

The length of the CJ-5 springs are only 40 inches from eye to eye (2.5" lifted spring). What length are the YJ springs from eye to eye? If I were to do the spring swap, would I need to do a shackle reversal setup to accomodate for the spring length? Could I just relocate the spring perches back and have the longer spring under the frame more? Has anyone done this type of setup? If so, I could really use some pointers and maybe some pictures to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for all of your help.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I used to know all this info off the top of my head. Lately I am beginning to think it all fell out with my hair.

Which D44's are you wanting to install? Any way you look at it, this will take a fair amount of fabrication. If you are using Wagoneer axles, you will need to move your spring hangers and shackles to the outside of the frame for the front axle. If you are comfortable with relocating hangers, then you should be able to build wider hangers to use with YJ leafs. I want to say YJ leafs are about 44.5" but I could be wrong.

chadr

Hickey said:
I used to know all this info off the top of my head. Lately I am beginning to think it all fell out with my hair.

Which D44's are you wanting to install? Any way you look at it, this will take a fair amount of fabrication. If you are using Wagoneer axles, you will need to move your spring hangers and shackles to the outside of the frame for the front axle. If you are comfortable with relocating hangers, then you should be able to build wider hangers to use with YJ leafs. I want to say YJ leafs are about 44.5" but I could be wrong.

I aquired a set of Wagoneer axles out of a 79 Cherokee Chief that I am going to install. I don't see a problem with fabricating the hangers that I will need. I thought that the YJ leafs were a bit longer which I feel will give me a bit more flex, but I wondered if they would be too long.

I was looking at getting some Rubicon Express 2.5 inch lift springs out of a YJ if I go with them. They seem to have a good reputation and great flex. Are there any other sets that I should be considering?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The RE springs are very good springs. They also have a spring that is designed for use in spring over applications. This spring has the ends reversed. This allows you to have more arch in the spring without providing too much lift.

Edit: RE 1444 is the one I am referring to.

Last edited:

chadr

Another question...

If I go with the YJ springs, am I going to have problems with my wheelbase becoming shorter than what it is now? The front mount is probably going to be located at the same place as the original, but if the YJ springs are longer, is it going to shift my axle toward the rear. I would either have to extend my frame a little bit to accomodate longer springs and leave the rear mounts where they are at, or have custom springs made that were the same length as my original springs.

Am I looking at this wrong?:confused:

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
chadr said:
Another question...

If I go with the YJ springs, am I going to have problems with my wheelbase becoming shorter than what it is now? The front mount is probably going to be located at the same place as the original, but if the YJ springs are longer, is it going to shift my axle toward the rear. I would either have to extend my frame a little bit to accomodate longer springs and leave the rear mounts where they are at, or have custom springs made that were the same length as my original springs.

Am I looking at this wrong?:confused:

I have a '73 CJ-5 and am looking at using YJ springs as well for an update. You can always redrill your center bolt location on your main leaf to place your front axle where you want it. When I originally built mine I built a reverse shackle and moved the front axle forward 3" which helps with bigger tire/back of fender contact issues.

chadr

dunatic67 said:
I have a '73 CJ-5 and am looking at using YJ springs as well for an update. You can always redrill your center bolt location on your main leaf to place your front axle where you want it. When I originally built mine I built a reverse shackle and moved the front axle forward 3" which helps with bigger tire/back of fender contact issues.

Do you have any pictures of it and how it turned out? I would love to see what you did to get some inspiration.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I just went through this but on my Samurai. I had stock Samurai rears in front which are 39" eye to eye. I wanted to add YJ's which are 46" eye to eye I think. We also had to move the spring mounts out about 1/2" on both sides for the wider toyota springs plates. The only way to do this was build a front frame exstention on my Samurai. My unlce built the exstension, and set it up for a S/R. When we put the springs on, and set it down it set perfect. It moved my wheelbase 2" longer.

Last edited:

chadr

Kris K said:
I just went through this but on my Samurai. I had stock Samurai rears in front which are 39" eye to eye. I wanted to add YJ's which are 46" eye to eye I think. We also had to move the spring mounts out about 1/2" on both sides for the wider toyota springs plates. The only way to do this was build a front frame exstention on my Samurai. My unlce built the exstension, and set it up for a S/R. When we put the springs on, and set it down it set perfect. It moved my wheelbase 2" longer.

Post up some pics if you can. I would probably like to do something like this to lengthen my wheelbase. Thanks for your help.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
chadr said:
Do you have any pictures of it and how it turned out? I would love to see what you did to get some inspiration.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up. I am not very high tech- no digital camera. I haven't tried the YJ springs yet.

chadr

Has anyone ever used BDS suspensions? I saw a few writeups on them and wondered how their springs are. They also have a YJ to CJ spring conversion kit that looked interesting (PN 124021).

Anyone!

willies45

willies45
A thought is to use a RE 2.5 in. lift for a CJ-5 the kit is for the newer cj but the front spring are not as long as the YJ, but are longer than the stock. This difference should be minimal as far as axel position is concerned. Having done both axel over and leaving stock I would use a 4 inch lift and leave under and avoid the axel wrap problems with the softer springs and also the steering changes.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
willies45 said:
A thought is to use a RE 2.5 in. lift for a CJ-5 the kit is for the newer cj but the front spring are not as long as the YJ, but are longer than the stock. This difference should be minimal as far as axel position is concerned. Having done both axel over and leaving stock I would use a 4 inch lift and leave under and avoid the axel wrap problems with the softer springs and also the steering changes.

'76 and up CJ springs are the same length as YJ- the width is different. Just finished YJ springs under a '76 CJ-7.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
chadr said:
Has anyone ever used BDS suspensions? I saw a few writeups on them and wondered how their springs are. They also have a YJ to CJ spring conversion kit that looked interesting (PN 124021).

Anyone!
What year CJ is the conversion for? '76 and up CJ's will accept the YJ spring with a little modification. The front spring slips into the hanger just fine, you have to use a wider shackle on the front as the YJ springs are wider.

chadr

dunatic67 said:
What year CJ is the conversion for? '76 and up CJ's will accept the YJ spring with a little modification. The front spring slips into the hanger just fine, you have to use a wider shackle on the front as the YJ springs are wider.

This is a 1963 CJ-5 that I am putting Cherokee Cheif axles under. I will have to relocate the spring hangers outside of the frame on the front. The rear should not have to be modified other than relocating my spring perches. The older CJ springs are only 1.75 inches wide. I am going to have to make the spring hangers wider if I am going to use YJ or '76 and up CJ springs.

The big problem that I was looking at is whether the frame was going to need stretched if I use the YJ springs. I would like to use them for the stability and ride, but I didn't know what the length of the YJ springs run. Someone said that they are about 44 inches long which is about 4 inches longer than the springs that I have now.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
chadr said:
This is a 1963 CJ-5 that I am putting Cherokee Cheif axles under. I will have to relocate the spring hangers outside of the frame on the front. The rear should not have to be modified other than relocating my spring perches. The older CJ springs are only 1.75 inches wide. I am going to have to make the spring hangers wider if I am going to use YJ or '76 and up CJ springs.

The big problem that I was looking at is whether the frame was going to need stretched if I use the YJ springs. I would like to use them for the stability and ride, but I didn't know what the length of the YJ springs run. Someone said that they are about 44 inches long which is about 4 inches longer than the springs that I have now.

I meant what year is the conversion set for (BDS)?
You don't need to stretch the frame, you only need to redrill the main leaf center hole and place the axle where you want it. IE: Mount the springs to your Jeep, pull the center bolt and other leafs out, measure the main leaf and mark it for your front axle location, drill a new hole, bolt your other leafs back on and Walla! Your done. (easier said than done).

chadr

dunatic67 said:
I meant what year is the conversion set for (BDS)?
You don't need to stretch the frame, you only need to redrill the main leaf center hole and place the axle where you want it. IE: Mount the springs to your Jeep, pull the center bolt and other leafs out, measure the main leaf and mark it for your front axle location, drill a new hole, bolt your other leafs back on and Walla! Your done. (easier said than done).
Oops! Sorry. It says for a '72 to "86 Jeep CJ-5, CJ-7
It gives you greasable hangers, Upper shackle mount bushings, spring mounting plantes with u-bolts.
Here is a picture of the kit.
124021 kit.jpg
The web site says that it is $403.88:shawn:

That is a bit steep I would think.