Yota Mutt Build

dzeyer

Well, it started up last night.. actually started up pretty easily. It's making a good rattle in there... thinking it's just a stuck lifter (push rods looked fine), so I'm running a little ATF through it to clean it out. Hopefully this weekend I'll be at lil moab testin it out!

sixstringsteve

Looks like your rig is on its way too! How'd those sliders work out for ya or have you put them on yet?

I stretched my wheelbase so much that they're too short now, so I'm selling 'em. But I'm thinking I'm going to copy the same exact design, I really like the heft they've got.

dzeyer

Here's some pics for update. It runs great. The exhaust will be done today and the cage will start next week. If I get the bumpstops done this week I might be out at the snakes trying er out. If anyone wants to take a whack at a cage layout.... go nuts with paint.

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Last edited:

dzeyer

I'm moving shops, so I spent most my time moving stuff. I was able to get to the salvage yard and find some bump stops for the front end. I grabbed a couple sets just in case these break on me... They look good though.

IMG_0249.jpg

dzeyer

They're off of late model s10 Jimmy (SUV style). They're pretty slick cause you can mount the bottom and pop in new bump stops if they bust, or cut them down if they're too tall. Cost me a whoppin $5 a set at the pick-n-pull. We'll see how long they last though, they feel pretty light duty. I'll let ya know.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i have those same bumps on the rear of my xj. they've seen a lot of miles and a few trips to moab with great results. they're actually touching when the jeep is all loaded up so yeah they get fully compressed often. they rock! :D

sixstringsteve

I've got a 1st gen front clip (doors, hood, fenders) in awesome condition if you're looking to match your bed skins.

dzeyer

Oh, man it's been frustrating. I moved shops, so thought I'd hand the rig off to a friend up north to do the tube work in exchange for my bender. But he fell on some bad health issues and my rig sat up in Idaho for about 2 months. I have it back now and just finished the seats and restraints and fixed a leak in the tranny pan as well as a busted dip stick tube in the block. I'll be ordering some tube here soon to do enough cage for Crawlfest next month. I'll add a pic or two of it tomorrow.

Steve, I have all the panels from my green rig for the front and back, so I'm good on panels. Thanks though.

I've never done tube work, so I'll be going pretty slow not wanting to waste too much. But should have enough done next month to wheel aggressively. Thanks for the kick in the rear guys to get things going. I'll do better from now on...

dzeyer

Well, it's been a while since an update, but you can kind of expect that from my posting history. I've already taken it out wheeling and it did great. I went down for a day to St. George for the South West Crawlfest. Need to do a little trimming here and there, but all-in-all it did great.

I just got it back from Josh at J&M Fab who was able to do an exo cage for me. He did a great job and I'll start hanging skins this weekend. So, next pics it should be painted and look somewhat like a truck again.

P2130024.jpg

P2130021.jpg

STAG

On my grind
I already apologize if I do something on this build that you would have done differently... cause actually, it's my build so that's why I did it that way.

I definitely understand that, but just curious, why no brake booster?

Everything looks pretty good. If you get a moment and remember, could you get me some dimensions on one of your propane tanks? I've searched but have came up with mixed results.

dzeyer

There's a brake booster on there now... a small yota one with a GM master. It does the job... barely. Originally I didn't put one on (just so I could get it to stop), but realized quick that it was necessary.

Chocflip...You just want height and diameter on the tank?

STAG

On my grind
There's a brake booster on there now... a small yota one with a GM master. It does the job... barely. Originally I didn't put one on (just so I could get it to stop), but realized quick that it was necessary.

Chocflip...You just want height and diameter on the tank?

Okay I guess I can kinda see it now in those last pictures.

And yeah just overall height and diameter. I am trying to decide if I need to order the 8 gallon or the 10 gallon tank.

dzeyer

I had some brown primer laying around, so I sprayed down one side and then painted the tube black... not sure what I think. I don't like the thought of hafting to tape off either the body or tube to spray 2 colors whenever I scrape it up, I might just paint the whole thing black, tube and all just to make touch-ups simple. Let me know what you guys think on color...

IMG_1869.jpg