Young Padewan seeks guidance...

IBC

ROOTBEER ANALYST
Okay, so I am not the most "intelligent" bloke on the block when it comes to "build-up" projects. My problem is this:

I may be buying a CJ5 from a buddy. Don't ask me the specifics...I don't know that much about it yet. just assume that it is a stripped CJ for now.
I want to place larger axles underneath it than what it would have stock, likely a D44 in the front and some form of the 60 in the back. What I need from you...suggestions for the type, size, etc. of the axle to put under the CJ. What do you look for in an axle and what do you not want in an axle?

demon jeep

Banned
IBC said:
Okay, so I am not the most "intelligent" bloke on the block when it comes to "build-up" projects. My problem is this:

I may be buying a CJ5 from a buddy. Don't ask me the specifics...I don't know that much about it yet. just assume that it is a stripped CJ for now.
I want to place larger axles underneath it than what it would have stock, likely a D44 in the front and some form of the 60 in the back. What I need from you...suggestions for the type, size, etc. of the axle to put under the CJ. What do you look for in an axle and what do you not want in an axle?

It sound like KC's CJ
The front you need a Chevy drop front end. I may know of a D44 with a spool
and a 60 rear. let me call him and see how much. The next thing drive line. Need a double cardigan on the out put of the tranfer case. That jeep is a good jeep. I have buzed around in it at little moab and it has no problems. If you are going to Moab in it and have not got the new axles in it, find another set of model 20 shafts and hub things.
As for the lift, is it going to be street or just a trailer queen? if trailer spring it over and lets chop the rear out and move the axle back.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
IBC said:

Wow, many options there young student.

Though shalt search the boards for many opinions on this issue. Then though shalt go to the junk or look through the classifieds for good candidates for as cheap as possible swapping.

Short version:

Waggy's are good sources for axles if you want to keep the tires near/under the fenders.

Chev or 'pre-Ram' Dodge trucks are good sources for a full-width swap.

There are many other options, but find what you can and make it work. That's probably the easiest thing..........

IBC

ROOTBEER ANALYST
First, I would like it to be streetable but more capable than it is now. Future plans are to convert it into a complete "trailer queen" rock crawler. Something I can throw at the really hard trails, and not care if it rolls.

mbryson

Supporting Member
IBC said:
First, I would like it to be streetable but more capable than it is now. Future plans are to convert it into a complete "trailer queen" rock crawler. Something I can throw at the really hard trails, and not care if it rolls.

If you are going there........leave the front axle alone until you run across a D60, and spend the least amount of money possible on the D30/20 combo while wheeling and having fun with it in the meantime. Stick with 33" tires and have a good time.

Assuming tire size is 36" or greater, you can build a D44, but after you buy alloy shafts, CTMs, etc. you're into it for the market price of a front Dana 60. Rear, run a D60 or a 14 bolt (lots of opinions there, various sides of the fence). That's my opinion..........

IBC

ROOTBEER ANALYST
So eventually would you just go and buy something new like a dynatrac or something? Or would you just hit the junkyards and try to find something that works? As far as lockers go...they are specific to the spline and the carrier of the axle?

mbryson

Supporting Member
IBC said:
So eventually would you just go and buy something new like a dynatrac or something?

I'm a cheap bastid. I doubt I'll ever have a Dynatrac or Currie or whatever unless they make me a screaming deal. If you've got good plastic and don't mind spending the cash, that's a great way to do it. Before doing that, I'd wheel your rig enough to know WHY you would want heavier axles and gain the driving skills to warrant having a built rig.

I'm a junkyard/classifieds kind of guy. {see above 'cheap bastid' reference} That's kind of the fun of building something to me (and others on here). Lockers are quite specific, but if you KNOW you've found a good deal on something, grab it and sell it for a moderate profit or trade it for something you need. They vary per axle model. Can't really use a 'blanket' statement there.

To me, the advantage to me building my junk, makes me familiar with the operations of my rig and WHEN it breaks, I can fix it and move on with my trip rather than whining about getting some help from someone. I like not having to rely on someone else to fix my stuff. There are things I can't/shouldn't fix, but sometimes it's nice to at least point the person fixing in the right direction or be able to assist if needed (at least have the right tool for your rig for common fixes).

IBC said:
Or would you just hit the junkyards and try to find something that works? As far as lockers go...they are specific to the spline and the carrier of the axle?

Junkyard/classifieds-whatever. I found my D60 in the yard of a business. Made a screaming deal and heaved the sucka in my pickup. Saved enough to make it 'right' even if I have to pay for non-dually hubs and I can still buy my selectable locker and stay within 'budget'. That said, there were some deals in the 'For Sale' section not too long ago with a couple of BUILT D44's for decent deals.

Example: I'm building a front Chev D60 for my YJ right now. I have 4.56 gears and one dually hub. My original plan was to run 5.13 gears, but since I got the 4.56 instead of the 4.11 that I thought I'd get, I think I'll try the 4.56 and run a slightly smaller tire than I originally intended-37" or 38". I'd like a selectable locker for the front {ARB[I have experience with them on my XJ] or E-locker are interesting}, but might just put a lock-rite or Detroit in for a while and run hydro-assist steering (probably would want to do that anyway). If I hate the automatic locker, I'll sell it for a slight loss and buy what I want.

To directly answer your question, from what I can tell, ALL desireable, common front D60's came 35 spline at the carrier. There's a great tech article on PBB from Billavista called the D60 bible. Check it out if you are building a D60. He seems to research everything very thoroughly and has some excellent information. I haven't found that article to be inaccurate, but I have formed an opinion about what I think I need in a D60 due to my driving habits, desired tire size, terrain I like to operate in and probable future trail goals.

Here's an interesting thread on the subject............http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=12537

demon jeep

Banned
YUP what Marc said.
Hijack: Marc have you been out to the junk yard on the east side of Roosevelt yet?
They usally have a ton of duelly hub axles and aton of other axles.
Also if you need some machine work done go to WE machine and welding Wade will treat you good.

Sorry
Brian get a set of one peice axles for the rear,a locker for the rear, some more offset wheels, and a new drive shaft. You will be looking at about $1000-$2000 for the parts. That is you buying. the rest of us wil pay less :D
Kc has done some things in that little jeep that you would be suprised.
Rattle snake, constrictor, little moab a huge boulder, and he did not take the wimpy lines. Wheel it as it is and then start to build it slowly, so get to know it in side and out.

Oh man you with tools :eek:

mbryson

Supporting Member
demon jeep said:
YUP what Marc said.
Hijack: Marc have you been out to the junk yard on the east side of Roosevelt yet?
They usally have a ton of duelly hub axles and aton of other axles.
Also if you need some machine work done go to WE machine and welding Wade will treat you good.

Oh yeah. Picked clean, Nice guys, though.

IBC

ROOTBEER ANALYST
OKAY, okay!!!
I may not know that much, but I ain't stupid! ;)

Cardigans=fashionable

Cardans=functional

what is the exact function of the CARDAN? I am assuming that it allows the transfer case and driveline to function at higher angles...but that is just a guess.

IBC

ROOTBEER ANALYST
mbryson said:
When/where did Demon go?
:confused: Not sure, but his name isn't in the members list anymore. Maybe he got {Strongbad voice}DELETED!
Maybe he just changed his name...not sure.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
IBC said:
:confused: Not sure, but his name isn't in the members list anymore. Maybe he got {Strongbad voice}DELETED!
Maybe he just changed his name...not sure.
LOL I could actually hear Strongbad. The guy in the other cube has it up way too much...

IBC

ROOTBEER ANALYST
:D
I have the wav file if you want it.

Actually, you can go to homestarrunner.com and get it in the downloads area under the system sounds download.