Your Pic of The Day

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Got our itinerary and plan for our Baja trip next month - getting excited! Going to be ~ 1600 miles on the trucks/trailers, and the SXS's will be just shy of 1200 miles. I wanted to make sure we were going to stop by Coco's for sure.

View attachment 145491

You're going to fall in love with Baja... its a beautiful, rugged place. Have fun & take plenty of gas!

Coco

You're going to fall in love with Baja... its a beautiful, rugged place. Have fun & take plenty of gas!
We are excited for sure! I am taking a 4 gallon Rotopax can, and it looks like we will/should be ok for gas down there.... As long as the gents with the gas cans will be there. :rofl:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We are excited for sure! I am taking a 4 gallon Rotopax can, and it looks like we will/should be ok for gas down there.... As long as the gents with the gas cans will be there. :rofl:

Don't plan on being able to get gas at all the gas stations along the way. 😉 There is a gas station near Gonzaga Bay that's usually a 50/50 chance they'll have fuel, from my experience.

I hope you take tons of pics and video, then post a detailed report on here. SxS's would be such a great way to travel down there.

Are you going with a guide or tour group? Hopefully you have plenty of time to stop, explore and enjoy the areas you'll be traveling thru.

Have you gotten a Baja Atlas? Very recommended.

Coco

Don't plan on being able to get gas at all the gas stations along the way. 😉 There is a gas station near Gonzaga Bay that's usually a 50/50 chance they'll have fuel, from my experience.

I hope you take tons of pics and video, then post a detailed report on here. SxS's would be such a great way to travel down there.

Are you going with a guide or tour group? Hopefully you have plenty of time to stop, explore and enjoy the areas you'll be traveling thru.

Have you gotten a Baja Atlas? Very recommended.

The only thing I am worried about is gas honestly. I am hoping with all of us we will be able to make it work.

We will definitely be taking lots of pictures, and I am hoping video as well. First time experiencing Baja, so it will be fun. We are going with Roy Jenkins (He owns Ryco Motorsports) and has been doing smallish tours for many years. He does them on the SXS's, then the week after takes a group of dirt bikes.

I don't have an atlas, but I will look into that for sure! :cool:

Make sure you go to the new Coco's, the old one is a ghost town :D

Noted! I think Roy would know this, but I will mention it to him as well. He has been down there for years.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
View attachment 145495

I15 South tested this little guy, yesterday.

View attachment 145496

View attachment 145497

Made it SLC to LA and back to Vegas, yesterday. It took 2 extra hours between SLC and Cedar. Broken bumper and windshield needs to be repaired were the only issues, so far.

It's been a while since a roadtrip has been that adventurous.

I forgot about Cali drivers loving to sit in the "fast" lane.
I've been going to LA so often for the past two years that I've found completely different route through Nevada. It's literally 100 miles longer, but I get there faster and with FAR less stress.

I've been going to LA so often for the past two years that I've found completely different route through Nevada. It's literally 100 miles longer, but I get there faster and with FAR less stress.
Please share your route! I have a son in San Bernardino and one of us makes this trip at least once a year. Vegas itself is usually the worst traffic! Coincidentally, my son is a maintenance tech for a Walmart DC - I think in Chino.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Are you bypassing g Las Vegas to Barstow?
Wendover>Ely>Tonopah>Amargosa Valley> Baker, CA.

You can also go from Tonopah to Bishop, CA and it's about the same distance, but way more stop lights and traffic.

It's probably a little further for you guys because I start in Grantsville, but you can do 85 across The Salt Flats, where I'm stuck at 65. Between Ely and Tonopah is where I most often see shooting stars and low flying military planes. It could also snow like hell, but I'm the only one out there, so I just roll down the window and listen to it crunch under my tires. Slept some of the best sleeps of my life out there.

Watch out for Ostrich south of Amorgosa valley. I almost hit one once. 😂

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If it weren't for the guy ahead of me, running 35-45 mph for 2 hours, early yesterday morning, I probably would have been screwed.

I stayed in his tracks and matched his pace, and it made life much easier. There were a few sketchy moments for sure.

Honestly, I'd rather run with a bunch of trucks on the road. I feel safer, especially at night.

Relying on truckers' skill to march on through the night has saved me quite a few times. I'd love their ability... I assume there's got to be some chemical help...
Not necessarily chemical. Those are the guys who are super aggressive and right on top of another truckers tail. If there's snow on the road, it keeps me wide awake. It's something interesting and different.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was referring to the guys at night. I don't know how they do it. I guess they're not trying to drive it all in one day, like me, haha.
In California it's definitely beneficial to run at night. Sometimes I'll give up half a day to shift my hours so I can run at night. The traffic is SO much lighter that it makes a massive difference. I used to be pretty good at getting up around 1:30-2:00 am and starting my day. As I get older, it's way more difficult. Some guys just make it their life.

Managing your stress is a big part of being successful at the job.